New Lounger
    Thanks

Drowning in Personal Folders (Outlook 2002 SP-1)

A couple of weeks ago I posted the following message:
    I have got a problem in my Outlook program that I have had for a while but cannot fix. Several times today--although this has happened in the past too--the program gave me a pop-up screen that said it had to be properly configured. When I click OK, I get a choice of several existing .pst folders (one for Outlook, another for Outlook express, another for archives). I canceled out of this several times rather than do anything, but I begin having difficulties. Some messages would lock up the program when I tried to open them, and I would have to restart. This last time I got the pop-up screen, I went ahead and configured to "Outlook.pst" and everything seems fine. The only thing is now on the folder list in Outlook I have three identical sets of Personal Folders. I cannot figure out how to get back to just one, and I certainly don't know why the program should be telling me to reconfigure. Can anybody help with this? I sure would appreciate it.

This did not bring a single response. My problem continues. I have now on the left five identical listings for my personal folders for one email account on the left hand side of the initiial Outlook screen and two listings for another email account. This is the window that comes up before creation of these extra folders:

<span style="background-color: #FFFF00; color: #000000; font-weight: bold">This information service has not been configured. Select an existing file to configure, or type the name of a new file to create.</span hi>

I'm totally baffled. It does not seem to matter whether I "cancel" or select "Outlook.pst" I get another instance of folders. I cannot figure how to delete these extra folders. Aside from driving me crazy, the program functions normally. I can read mail, respond, etc. Does anyone have a theory as to why this might be happening? Does anyone have a suggestion as to what I can do to fix this? I'm grateful for any help at all. Thanks.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Drowning in Personal Folders (Outlook 2002 SP-1)

Unless there is some deeper problem, you have partially created some empty, redundant personal folders. Can you just right click the 'bad' folders and click the "Close Personal Folders" icon?

If not (I'm using OL XP in a home environment, in a LAN environment things may be slightly different.) click Outlook Today, select File | Data File Management, and from there, taking care not to remove any PST's containing data, make a note of the path and filename of each empty PST, and then 'Remove' the empty PST's. I'm not testing this in full, but I believe this detaches them from Outlook, but leaves the data file still on the hard drive. If you delete a valid PST in error you should be able to restore it via the File | Open | Outlook Data File dialog. To completely delete the file, in File Explorer go to that path and file name you dutifully noted down, and delete the file there; this will send the file to the Recycle Bin.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

New Lounger
    Thanks

John,

Thank you so much for responding. No I cannot simply close the personal folders. That option is greyed out. I followed your second suggestion and discovered that all of the extra folders reference the exact same .pst file . Of course it will not do to erase that file. I did discover that the 2nd set of duplicated files (the one where I have only a pair of duplicates) does have a separate .pst file for each one. Can you think of anything else I might try?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I am not an Outlook expert but I would be very tempted to perform a COMPACT on the folder and see if that helps. (Right-click on the folder, go to properties, advanced, compact now. Worth a shot!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

No wonder you couldn't close them. Close Outlook, and through File Explorer, make a spare copy of your active PST file, in case something gets munged. Now, you should be able to Remove the duplicated services with no problem, though the File | Data File Management dialog as I explained above. 'Remove' ing a service does not delete the file (yes, I have tested this part now).
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

New Lounger
    Thanks

John,

Thank you. That procedure worked. I'm now a happy camper.