New Lounger
    Thanks

Excel filename w/spaces

I have a problem that no one else at work has, at least that I know of. If I try to open an Excel file that has a name with a space in it, it tries to look up each individual word in the name, i.e. "print track.xls" tries to find "print.xls" and "track.xls", and since they don't exist, Excel opens to an new workbook. Once inside, I can find the file and open it. I found Q216657 in the MS knowledge base to be quite similar, but not quite. That is a known bug. Since others here don't have the problem, there must be a solution somewhere, although I may be the only NT user. I use Excel 97 SR-2 and Windows NT 4.0 SP6a. Thanks for any help that comes my way.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Excel filename w/spaces

Open Windows explorer and select "Folder Options" from the Tools menu. Click on the "File types" tab. Scroll down the list until you find Microsoft Excel Spreadsheet. Click on this and then click on the Edit button. Click on the Open action and then click the Edit button. On that dialog box, if the "Use DDE" box is not checked, then you should have something like this in the "Application to perform action" box:

"D:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOfficeexcel.exe" "%1"

Make sure that there are double quotes around the %1.

If the Use DDE box is checked, then look in the DDE message box, and again make sure that there are double quotes around the %1.
    Legare Coleman

New Lounger
    Thanks

Your suggestion was the first thing our IT manager told me to check. He printed out the dialogue box with the settings as you describe, and mine were exactly the same as his. I will attach a print screen file to show you how mine looks. It's a little different, but I think correct, as you describe it.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, that does look correct. I think I saw on another board something else which can cause this problem, but I don't remember what it was, or what version it affected. Sorry, I can't be much more help.
    Legare Coleman

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

It looks like it might be a problem in the registry. The following procedure might work and is worth a try. Backup the registry just in case.

Change to command line switch from ....excel.exe /e to ....excel.exe /regserver.

This causes Excel to start, re-register itself and quit.

You will then have to restore the command line switches to what they were.

Andrew C

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Wild short in the dark; isn't there a problem with filenames with spaces in some Novell Network installations? I know this occurs in one of my company's shops, but I cannot provide any more detail.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

New Lounger
    Thanks

Andrew,

You hit the nail on the head. Give yourself another star! Thanks a lot to everyone.