4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Workgroups (2000)

I am working on securing a database that has confidential data in it and have everything working very nicely. I set up a new workgroup with the name test.mdw (as this was a trial run before implementation). I also setup a shortcut to the database with the target set in the shortcut's properties tab as outlined in other posts. The only snag I am now encountering is that every other database on my hard drive also now wants me to log on and seems to be accessing test.mdw instead of the default system.mdw.

It will not be a big hassle for me in the real life situation, but I would prefer only the secured database to prompt for logons and all other unsecured databases to default to system.mdw.

As this is my first time working with workgroups and security, any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Peter N

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Workgroups (2000)

In setting up your secured workgroup file Test.mdw, you have probably joined that workgroup, so that you open all databases with that workgroup file now. You should join System.mdw again using the same method you created/joined Test.mdw. The location of System.mdw depends on your operating system, I believe. After this, open the secured database through the shortcut only.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Workgroups (2000)

"Aha!", he says... "I now have my cake and am eating it, too."

I knew it should be something simple. It probably would have taken several more hours research into this arcanity to solve it on my own.
    Thanks so much.
    Peter