Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Saving Office Settings (2000)

I was just alerted to this handy-sounding application, and thought I'd share it here:

The Office 2000 Save My Settings Wizard allows you to save your Office settings, on a local network or on removable media, then download and use them on another computer. Your Office 2000 settings, or profile, are a group of settings that defines your Office 2000 program preferences and options, including custom dictionaries and custom templates as well as AutoCorrect and AutoFormat lists. Total Download Size = 275 KB

Alan

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Saving Office Settings (2000)

Hi Alan:
    I've used this to save, but fortunately I haven't had to restore yet. There is also a Profile Wizard that will store your settings on a local hard drive. See <post#=5112>post 5112</post#>
    Cheers,

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Phil.
    Referring to your linked post, I'm curious as to what you mean when you say "The former is saved on your hard drive & the latter is saved on their web site." Former refers to Profile Wizard & latter to Save My Settings Wizard. What is "their web site"?

I understood that the "latter" was designed to save to removable media - "The Office 2000 Save My Settings Wizard allows you to save your Office settings, on a local network or on removable media, then download and use them on another computer. "

thanks

Alan

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Alan:
    I followed your link to the Save My Settings Wizard and Microsoft has apparently changed their procedure. They said: "Previously, this wizard allowed files to be saved to the Office Tools on the Web site on the Internet. This feature was removed due to low usage." It appears that my previous post is out of date. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Cheers,

2 Star Lounger
    Warrington (Greater Manchester area)/Cheshire, UK
    Thanks

How do you tell it to save it to local media or network drive instead of on the Micro$oft servers? I can't find that option.....

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Good question! I just checked the site again. It gives these instructions:

>Quit all Microsoft Office programs.
    >Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Microsoft Office Tools, and then click Save My Settings Wizard.
    >In the Save My Settings Wizard, click Next.
    >Click Save the settings from this machine, and then click Next.
    >Click Save the settings to a File, and then click Finish.
    >Note If you want to save the settings to a different file other than the default settings file, either type the path to the file >you want to save, or click Browse.

However, I just compared by savemyi.exe with the one they still have for download & they're identical. I notice that the instructions above apply to the Profile Wizard. There is a radio button for "Save the settings from this machine" & "Save the settings to file". I would use the Profile Wizard. See <post#=5112>post 5112</post#>.

2 Star Lounger
    Warrington (Greater Manchester area)/Cheshire, UK
    Thanks

I was guessing something like that.

Thanks very much! Used the Profile Wizard and that works like a dream - added bonus in that is saves on internet traffic as well....