Thread: USB Drive

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

USB Drive

Is it possible to recognize a USB External Hard Drive via DOS? I would like to boot from a floppy and be able to access a USB External Hard Drive.

Thanks,
    John

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: USB Drive

There are no DOS drivers/support for USB, so it's not likely that you're going to meet with much success. There was a discussion on the boards a while ago about accessing USB from DOS and some solutions were proffered, but as I recall they were rather pricey and not really an "option." I'd love for someone to prove me wrong on this one though.

FWIW, I recently purchased a new motherboard that supports booting (through the BIOS) to external USB hard drives, but I don't have one to test that scenario with. I don't know if it would appear as a DOS drive, and I don't suspect so - unless the USB drive had DOS installed on it.
    -Mark

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

It is possible to creat bootable CD-ROM and access USB drives.

E.g., Dantz Retrospect is supposed to have he ability to create a bootable CD-ROM from which you can restore an OS without installing the OS.

A floppy may not have the space to include all needed drivers.

Banned Member
    Thanks

Go to this page and read paragraphs B. & C. Here

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I am familiar wit the Maxtor product.

I am planning on building my own external USB or Firewire by purchaseing the drive and case separately.

The Dantz Retrospect Express supplied with the Maxtor drive is a much watered down version of Dantz Retrospect..

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

The original question was whether or not you caould access this device from DOS. Straight from the linked page:
    <hr>c)Currently there are no DOS drivers for USB or 1394 devices. USB or 1394 devices will not function under DOS because this technology can only operate in a "Plug-and-Play" operating systems environment. Backup software that creates images, such as Norton Ghost or PowerQuest Drive Image, requires that a device is able to function under MS-DOS. USB and 1394 drives will not function under MS-DOS because there are no MS-DOS drivers.<hr>
    -Mark

Banned Member
    Thanks

Thank You Mark. As you stated, my intention was to answer the original question. And as you pointed out those paragraphs are very direct and to the point.