4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Import tables to new Template (Word97/SR-2)

Evening -

Created a landscape template for tables with left/right margins of 1" Then I realized the tables would look better with Left/Right margins of 1"/.75".

I created a new template with these new margins [1"/.75], but when I copy/paste the tables with the 1" left/right margins, this change isn't reflected.

I tried using section breaks with the new margins, but I still got the l"/1" margin when I pasted the original table. I tried Past Special, a disaster, of course.

I am missing something here, but what? How can I copy/paste the old tables with the 1"/1" margins to reflect the new margins of 1"/.75without redoing the tables, or manually changing the column widths?

Many thanks,
    Curious

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Import tables to new Template (Word97/SR-2)

I don't have Word 97 any more, so I'm going from memory. When you created your tables in your first template, you probably gave them a fixed width. You can copy these tables into another template or document with a different margin, but the tables won't automatically expand to fill the new margin.

In Word 2000, I know there is an option to set the column width as a percentage, but I don't think that was available in Word 97. You can record a macro that will change the size of the table to fit the margin, but if you have several tables, one of the VBA experts will have to tell you how to cycle through the file to find each table. You can adjust each table by choosing Cell height & width... and on the column tab, type a letter in the size box & press the down arrow. This will cause the box to display "Auto", which will expand the table from margin to margin, with each column being the same size. You can then copy & paste these tables into a new document and they will expand from margin to margin.

Hope this helps.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Import tables to new Template (Word97/SR-2)

Thank you, Phil -

After posting, it occurred to me that the fixed width would be the reason why...

Appreciate your time and response,
    Curious