3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

More conditional formatting (the saga continues) (Excel 2000 SP3)

Thank you all for the help with conditional formatting in the past. It's been MOST appreciated. But of course, I have another quandary. I am working on an parts inventory spreadsheet, and I used conditional formatting to tell me when I need to reorder certain parts. The actual cell value is changed manually as parts go out, and then the conditional formatting kicks in when a part only has, say, 2 in inventory. HOWEVER...I have some parts that are listed twice, due to different pricing or coming in on a different invoice. So, what happens is where one entry for Hard Drives will say we only have 2 left and will turn red alerting me to reorder, upon careful inspection of the spreadsheet, I might find that we have 7 of a different type Hard Drive that is listed separately due to diff. price/invoice/brand and I actually DON'T need to reorder hard drives. Is there any way to perform conditional formatting on the sum of two cells...if you don't have a cell with that sum listed? OR...can anyone think of a better way to set up an inventory spreadsheet.

Sorry so long and confusing.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: More conditional formatting (the saga continues) (Excel 2000 SP3)

You can use a formula instead of the cell value in conditional formatting. Ordinarily, you would specify something like Value is, Less than or equal to, 2.
    Instead, you can specify Formula is, =SUM(appropriate cells here)<=2.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans - you are a genius. Thank you for all your help. One question, though. I highlighted both cells, and applied the exact conditional formatting you suggested. However, only ONE of the cells takes on the formatting if the condition is true. Is that by design, or did I enter something incorrectly? I guess I thought that both would turn red when the condition is true.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Actually, I figured out the problem! The SUM range was changing for each cell. Went in and manually changed it and now all is well. Thanks again for your help!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

What you could have done was make the cell references in the formula absolute like this:

<pre>=SUM($A$1, $A$20)<=2
    </pre>

Legare Coleman

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

If the parts have unique identifiers - part name or part number, for example - that might be repeated in your listing but at a different price, you could try to base your conditional formatting on SUMIF. I've attached a small sample spreadsheet showing how this could work. There are two conditions set up; first if the units on hand are 1 or less (bright red background - urgent resupply) and the second if the inventory is 3 or less (bold red font - resupply required). In each case, the formatting uses SUMIF to total all identical part numbers within the list, so that even if an item is completely sold out but still available at another price and in sufficient quantities it does not have the formatting applied. If you have a 'minimum quantity for reorder' field available the conditional formatting could be used to check against that value instead of the hardcoded '1' or '3' used in my example.