5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Tracking time (OXP)

I am an ACT user thinking of converting to Outlook. ACT has a nice simple way for me to track the time I spend with clients. I go to the contact, schedule a meeting, which then appears on the calendar. (After the mtg I can edit the calendar to put in the actual hours spent.) When I'm ready to bill the client I can call up a report which totals the time I spent.
    I have looked at Outllook's Tasks and it seems very convoluted to accomplish the same thing, and I'm not sure how I would get the total time. Am I missing something? Is there an easier way?
    All suggestions are appreciated.
    Howard

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Tracking time (OXP)

Outlook's has it's Journaling component, which has it's own warts, including adding overhead and file size. You can track customers through Jounalling by using Categories, but IMO it's not going to do the job nearly as well as dedicated time tracking software such as TimeSlips. I'm not familiar with ACT's capabilities, but you may want to think twice about converting.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I agree with John. Outlook won't meet your needs nearly as well, not without a lot of frustration and possibly customization, anyway. And Act does a lot more than Outlook to boot, so I think you might end up using both programs. Are you using one of the later versions of Act that integrate with Outlook for email, etc.? That might give the best of both worlds.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for both replies. I have been using ACT and Eudora e-mail successfully for over five years. When Outlook 97 first came out I was intrigued and hopeful that it was a program that did everything I needed. I experimented with it (and Outlook 98) but soon abandonded it as too convoluted and kludgey.
    Since a lot of my clients use OfficeI thought I would revisit Outlook when I upgraded to OXP and see if it fit my needs. Wrong! I'll stick to what I have. No need to have ACT "integrate" with Outlook. ACT and Eudora do everything I need. Outlook brings nothing to the party.
    I'll continue to fire it up only when a client has a question about a feature.
    Howard

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Incidental comment: you may want to visit the Outlook Express Forum to see if you would prefer OE to Eudora. In the past on rare occasion I have used both OE and Eudora and have a slight preference for OE, but not sure I could even remember why!
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS