New Lounger
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Word XP: encrypt document properties (Word XP SP2)

Is there a way in Word XP to set the "encrypt document properties" option in the Tools | Security | Advanced tab to always be on? It's an option that I want always set, but I don't want my users to have to remember it.

To set it you need to choose a higher encryption option - i've been trying "RC4, Microsoft Base Cryptographic Provider v1.0".

I tried doing it in my document templates and in my Normal template, but it would not "stick" unless there was a password present. I tried tricking Word XP by putting in a password and turning the option on and then removing the password, but it went back to the default.

At this stage my only option appears to be making a VBA routine to set passwords & set the options programatically...

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Re: Word XP: encrypt document properties (Word XP SP2)

I haven't used this feature (I run Word 2000), but the common ways to make settings stick are:

(1) Open Normal.dot directly, make the change there, and save it. Henceforth, if that setting is stored in the Normal.dot template, it will carry forward into new blank documents based on Normal.dot.

(Follow that same procedure with all other templates.)

(2) Figure out where the setting is saved in the registry and set that setting. (If it's in the binary Data key, you can't do this, you have to set it interactively through Word.)

If Word really doesn't let you save this setting, hijacking the Save As command probably is the easiest way to set this setting. So:

Sub FileSaveAs()
    'New code here
    To be determined
    'Default behavior next
    Dialogs(wdDialogFileSaveAs).Show
    End Sub

Note: the above was typed without any testing, so I can't rule out typographic or logic errors! Hope it helps anyway.

New Lounger
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Re: Word XP: encrypt document properties (Word XP SP2)

Thanks for the ideas. I'd tried the Normal.dot template and other document templates that we use (opening them directly), but it didn't stick.

I also could not find it in the registry (I had a good poke around the Office 10.0 settings - I think because it's a document specific setting rather than a machine or user specific thing.

Unless anyone knows another way to set it, i'll write the VBA routine to set it.

Cheers