New Lounger
    Thanks

Excel to Access Links Add-In Error (2002/XP)

Our office recently converted from Office 97 Pro to Office XP Pro and I'm having a problem exporting Excel 2002 sheets to Access 2002 tables. I've downloaded and installed the Access Links add-in for Excel but when I select "Convert to MS Access" from the Data menu of the target sheet the add-in starts, prompts me for a new or existing database name, opens Access and then returns this error "The Microsoft Jet database engine could not find the object '<To Access$R1C1:R4128C7>'." This is the range of the sheet being sent to Access. Does anyone know how to correct this error? Thanks.

Alan

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Excel to Access Links Add-In Error (2002/XP)

Is there a version of that add-in for each version of Excel? If not, and you are using the Office 97 version, the Jet engine has changed significantly in version 4.x that ships with 2000/XP. Another possibility - what service packs for Office XP have you installed?
    Wendell

New Lounger
    Thanks

Wendell, I don't know if there is a separate version of the add-in for each version of Excel but there were separate versions for 97 and 2002 and I used the 2002 one after converting to Office XP. I am somewhat aware of the changes with the jet engine and am aware that Access changed from the DAO to the ADO object model but since I don't program I'm not sure what the ramifications are of that. We are on SP-1 of MS Office XP Pro. I have seen other references to the problem I'm experiencing on the newgroups but so far no answers.

Alan

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Well, it sounds like it may be a bug then - I don't typically use that capability so I haven't hit it. Until a solution is found, have you tried doing an import from Access instead of exporting from Excel? It's possible that there is some problem with the Access install such that Jet is complaining. If that does work, then it sounds like the add-in is the culprit. It is also possible to do you own thing in terms of Automation. Access can work as either an Automation Server or an Automation Client, so you could program Excel to open an Access database and then import a table - but I note you don't consider yourself a programmer. I expect <!profile=HansV>HansV<!/profile> or one of our other gurus for both Access and Excel could walk you through the process.
    Wendell

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'd start with Wendell's suggestion of importing into Access instead of exporting from Excel. Your data in Excel will have to start in cell A1, or you must have assigned a name to the range you want to import.
    In Access, select File | Get External Data | Import..., then select Microsoft Excel (*.xls) as file type, and browse to the workbook.
    You can choose to select from a worksheet or specify a named range.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Wendell and Hans. The import of Excel into Access from within Access seems to work OK. FYI, my Excel data always does begin in cell A1 when running the Access Links add-in so I'm still confused why it's not working properly. I realize there are workarounds but sometimes it is much easier to do the export from within Excel (especially depending on the user's level of expertise with Access). So is the consensus that there is a bug in the Access Links add-in or do you think my settings are somehow incorrect or I'm doing something wrong procedurally? Thanks.

Alan

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for posting this information; it will be useful for others experiencing the same problem.

New Lounger
    Thanks

(Edited by HansV to create link to MSKB article)

I'm posting an answer to my own issue in case others have this problem. I sent an email to MS Tech Support and they acknowledged the problem. They also referred to a KB article (<!mskb=328280>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 328280<!/mskb>) that dealt with an unrelated issue that was caused by the same dll being updated within Excel when upgrading to later versions (i.e., Office 2000 and XP) of MS Office. According to the MS tech, this issue is caused due to the file upgrade with Jet Engine 4.0 Service Pack 6 with these later versions. The specific file which is changed that breaks the Acess Links add-in is Msexcl40.dll version 4.0.5919.0. Microsoft posted a hotfix on their website that they directed me to which fixed the problem nicely. If anyone else is having this issue, they should email MS and get the hotfix which is not being publicly distributed while they complete testing on it. MS should also be posting a KB article on the issue after further testing.

Alan