Lounger
    Thanks

Macros Stripped from Template (6.0)

When downloading Word templates from trusted sites, all of the macros are being stripped out of the templates.

How can I prevent that? Can something be reset in Tools>Internet Options>Security?

Thanks.

Jerry

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Macros Stripped from Template (6.0)

Hi Jerry:
    Open up Word, & set Tools/Macros.../Security/Security Level to medium. When you download the templates, if you're prompted, you can go to the Secuity dialog box & go to the Trusted Sources & add the source.
    Hope this helps.

P.S. I'm going to recommend that this thread be moved to the Word forum.

Thanks

If Phil's solution is not possible (e.g., corporate policy), right-click and Save Target As... to bring the template onto your system before opening it or creating a new document, as the case may be. If you truly trust the template, you can place it in one of the trusted folders (e.g., the folder listed under Tools>Options...>File Locations>User Templates).

Lounger
    Thanks

Phil:

Thanks. I've already tried that; it doesn't work. Do you think upgrading IE would help?

Jerry

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks.

I don't think that would make a difference. The template comes through with no macros where ever I dump it. I can tell from the greatly reduced byte size.

Jerry

Thanks

> I don't think that would make a difference. The template comes through with no macros where ever I dump it.
    > I can tell from the greatly reduced byte size.

It didn't make a difference or you don't think it would make a difference? If you didn't actually test it, please do.

While IE sometimes is confused about Save Picture As..., I've never seen it confused about Save Target As...; nor do I think IE takes it upon itself to edit the internal structure of documents, particularly documents as internally complex as Word documents. I suppose if IE could do that, it would be advertised as a security feature.

What is the code behind the link you're using to download the document? Is it a simple file name or does it run a script?

Or - wait a minute, you know the file size: are you accessing using a "web folder" or FTP, instead of a standard web page?

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks again. You were right.

Save Target As does indeed make a big difference.

Jerry