2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Word Macro (Office 2000)

A user wants to save a word file they've download from our intranet to a specfic directory with the name it came with and if the file already exists be prompted to change the name so as not to over write the original file. Can anyone help me?

Thanks

Re: Word Macro (Office 2000)

I'm not sure I understand your scenario. Would the manual steps for this be to open File>Save As..., choose a new directory, and Save? I think Word handles the prompting automatically. I'm not sure of the advantage of automating this with a macro...

Thanks

Re: Word Macro (Office 2000)

Okay, my last response might have been a little hasty. Many people have asked before: "how can I force Save As... to default to a particular folder." There are several options. I just saw this article at MVPs.org yesterday: How to change the directory of the Save As dialog. Note that in in order to use that method and still preserve the existing file name, you'll want something like:

.Name = "c:my folder" & ActiveDocument.Name

To learn more about the other approaches that the authors of that article did not like so much, type the commands into a VBA macro pane, highlight them, and press F1. ChangeFileOpenDirectory is just that, while Options.DefaultFilePath is followed by a parenthetical that specifies which of the paths you want to change.

Hope this is more helpful than my last post!