2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

KeyTick Software

I've been using a little program called KeyTick which adds ticking sounds to the keyboard

I use it purely to warn me when I'm using the Caps Lock

I've just upgraded to WinXP and after re-installing it, I've found that the click sound is no longer synchronised with the key strokes
    There's an excessive delay and later strikes with the Caps Lock selected don't even gett he "click" sound @#$%^

The program came via PC Magazine and was written by Neil J. Reubenking
    It doesn't specically say that it's compatible with WinXP but it is compatible with Win2000 so I'm surprised that it doesn't behave itself under WinXP

Does anyone know if there is a WinXP version available, or can tell me why it doesn't work properly under WinXP and how to fix it !!

Awaiting help

Max Rieper
    mrieper@optusnet.com.au

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: KeyTick Software

Max--
    Neil Rubenking has been contributing technical editor at PC Mag since 1990 and a Project Leader at their lab and does the "Solutions Column" in PC and could be reached at pcmag@ziffdavis.com. Sorry I don't know the direct answer to this. Here are some articles by Neil on this:
    Inside Key Tick
    Hear Yourself Type
    Hooking System Events
    Key Tick

SMBP

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Caps Lock key woes

Why, oh WHY, is the Caps Lock key so danged BIG!? I mean, it's bigger than the Tab key fercryinoutloud. On my home computer, I just yanked to sucker off completely. I can still use it, but now it's a stubby shaft instead of an easy-to-hit button. Unfortunately, I can't pull it off my laptop.

I mean, really, who designed these things?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: KeyTick Software

Hi Max

Not familiar with KeyTick, but if you have no luck tweaking it, I'd recommend trying the excellent freeware app
    FirstCap.
    I'm not sure if it works with XP, but may be worth a shot.

Alan

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Caps Lock key woes

I have similar complaints about the Windows special keys sandwiched between Ctrl and Alt. Are they used frequently enough to warrant such a high profile placement on the keyboard? My daughter has a game that encourages her to 'hit any key' - and of course these special keys are prime targets for her wild keyboard banging and always end up causing problems. The game is not intelligent enough to bypass these keys, so I would be interested in some software that could be used to disable them while her game is running.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The Windows key

Oooo, I love the Windows key! Seriously, I use it a lot more than the Alt key. One of Woody's recent newsletters covers this key, but I use it to open Explorer (win+e), Search (win+f), Run (win+r) and switch to the desktop (win+d). Of course, when I'm in the middle of playing a game and hit the Win key by mistake, it can certainly be a pain.