Star Lounger
    Thanks

IE6 (6.0.2800.1106)

After I installed IE6, I cannot access my smpt server directly but only thru MS. How do I get back to normal (the actual address of my smpt server)? Is MS really that hard up for business?

Incidentaly, Outlook Explorer works normally.

Thanks

Re: IE6 (6.0.2800.1106)

What do you mean you access your SMTP only through MS? Are you saying you are being blocked with a 'Relaying denied' message?

If that is the case, you will have to check/receive mail with a valid mail provider address to gain a temporary window of outgoing mail access, or your provider may require a level of authentication, or you may be trying to access an SMTP server that refuses connections outside of its own service.

These measures are taken to prevent open relays being abused by spammers.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

My particular problem is that when I desire to send a web page to someone and click on send, page, the computer response is addressed to MSN. When I use both outlook and outlook express, things work normally.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not clear on what you're trying to accomplish. Are you entering something akin to my.smtp.server in the Internet Explorer address bar, and you end up at a Microsoft page that reads "We could not find the page you were looking for" and has a search box below it? And this worked previously, before upgrading your browser?

You may want to try entering the full URL such as http://my.smtp.server/ with the trailing slash. Inappropriately configured webservers will return an error when trying to load the default page (index.* on Linux/Unix or default.htm on Microsoft servers). Adding the trailing slash tells the webserver to return whatever page is setup as the server's default.
    -Mark

Star Lounger
    Thanks

my problem is sorta like your paragraph 1. I display an excel or word sheet. I click on send and then email. At that point I get a screen asking for my hotmail ID and password. If I don't respond properly it connects to a blank page with a beinning adress of msn and then gives an error page marked msn. Basically I cannot send a word message or an excel sheet by email. But I can't see how to fix the thing.

Mictrosoft shines again.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Ah, OK, so you are trying to send email directly from within an application - Excel or Word - by using File - Send To - Mail Recipient? If that's the case it sounds like you don't have a default email account on the system. I'd try running a repair on Microsoft Office first to see if it re-registers the default email application as Microsoft Outlook. I'm not sure that it's an IE problem, per se. You can also check the Programs tab under Tools - Internet Options and see what email program is specified as the IE default, as shown in the attached screen shot.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Mark

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I believe that is the exact problem as well...