2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Styles (Word 2000x)

Hello, I have a question in regards to Styles. I know how to create them and how to use/apply them but I'm a little confused at times. Sometimes I copy some text from the internet. i.e. email msg and past it into a document. When I paste, it usually pastes it with the "HTML Typewriter" style. I select the paragraph, go to the style window, select normal (which is formatted: no tabs, Arial, 10, justified). It does remove the tabs however the same style shows in the style window and the font does not change, is still Courier New. So, I always have to go to format and select the Normal style from there and then apply it. Is there ANY way to avoid having to do that every time? Is there a way that this "HTML T..." style is not always added to the style list? I'd appreciate your help. Thanks. Tira

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Styles (Word 2000x)

You could use Edit > Paste Special > Unformatted Text.

You could even write a short Macro like this add and it to your right click menus (using Tools > Customize > Toolbars > Shortcut Menus)

Public Sub PastePlainText()
    On Error GoTo Done
    Selection.PasteSpecial Datatype:=wdPasteText
    Done:
    Exit Sub
    End Sub

StuartR

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Stuart. I was hoping there was another way rather than creating a macro but I might just do that. So, it IS normal that it won't adapt to the style I try to apply to the text? I just don't get it. What are styles good for if it doesn't apply once selected..... Thanks again, Tira

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Tira,

One possible way this could be happening, is if the 'HTML Typewriter' style is a character style rather than a paragraph style - if that were the case, you could apply the Normal paragraph style, but the HTML Typewriter style would still show as the current style in the Styles dropdown list.
    A couple of quick ways to remove character formatting from a selected range: (1) Control + Spacebar; (2) go the Styles dropdown and apply the cryptically named 'Default Paragraph Font' (in Word 2002 this has been renamed to 'Clear Formatting').

Gary