jensid

Computer won't dial a specific phone number

I configured a dial up link with a specific phone number and it was able to dial initially but now that phone number doesn't dial or even get dial tone. I can dial it on the phone and if I change any single digit then the phone number will dial from the computer. Other dialup connections which function normally also will not even get dial tone if I change the number to this one. Somehow I've managed to set the number as one which the computer will never dial. Anyone know how to rectify this?

Thank you.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Computer won't dial a specific phone number

As a result of meddling by various governments around the world, modem makers have been forced to implement a blacklist in the modem. It sounds like the number you are trying to dial has been blacklisted. This usually happens if you dial the number too many times in a row and get no answer or some other failure. A busy signal is supposed to block dialing the number again for two minutes, but then it should work again. If modem messages are turned on, it normally displays a message that dialing is delayed. If the number still can't be dialed after a number of hours, then the modem may have it hung in the blacklist list. My only suggestions would be to contact the modem vendor for help.

If this is your problem, write your government represemtative and complain about their insessant meddling in places that they have no business.
    Legare Coleman

jensid

Thank you for your reply. Whatever the issue was, it's now started working again.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

That sounds like it is definitely the blacklist problem (feature). Write your Congresscritters and tell them how much you appreciate their meddling.
    Legare Coleman