Lounger
    Thanks

Constant Save of Normal.dot (Word XP)

Post deleted by TheProfessor

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Constant Save of Normal.dot (Word XP)

Have you tried Phil Rabichow's <!post=Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word (97/2000),197827>Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word (97/2000)<!/post>? Despite the title, it applies to Word 2002 too.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Maybe you are inadvertently making changes to your normal template (eg autotext entries). If you have "Prompt to Save Normal Template" selected and have made a change to normal you will be asked to save the normal template. Look under Tools, Options, Saving.

The other thing you might want to check is whether or not you are running only one instance of XP - it is possible, to run more than one instance of Word and this will also give you this problem. If you start Word from the Quick Launch bar beside the Task Bar make sure you only click once.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Prof,

Also worth noting that if at any point you delete your existing Normal.dot and let Word automatically rebuild a new one, the new one is a 'virtual Normal.dot' that doesn't actually get saved as a real file until you expressly save it at least once. In this situation you will get the prompt to save Normal.dot when you quit Word, because the new Normal.dot itself represents a change to Normal.dot.

So if you keep saying "No" every time you quit Word, the virtual Normal.dot will be destroyed and recreated again every time you quit/launch Word - you would need to say "Yes" at least once to break this cycle of template destruction/creation (the preceding sounds almost metaphysical, doesn't it? - or maybe I just need to get some sleep!).

Gary

Lounger
    Thanks

Post deleted by TheProfessor

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

For what it's worth, did you check BOTH startup folders? It's easy to overlook the one under ..Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOfficeStartup. You might also check your COM Add-Ins... You can add this to a toolbar or menu item. It can be found under Tools/Customize/Commands tab/Catagories:Tools/ & it should be the first option under Commands:. You might have one loading when Word starts.

If none of that applies, there's always the unfortunate possibility that you have a virus. Have you checked with an up-to-date virus scanner?
    Hope this helps.

Lounger
    Thanks

This maybe not the right answer but check to make sure the following is NOT checked:

Tools, Options, Save, Prompt to Save Normal template

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm sorry, that is certainly NOT the right answer. Turning that option off is just hiding your head in the sand - the problem still persists. It is not normal that Word should want to save Normal.dot each time.

I always turn the 'Prompt to Save Normal' option ON, to prevent myself from saving temporary experiments, stupid mistakes etc. I only answer Yes to the prompt if I have intentionally changed a toolbar or something like that.