Thread: Forms (1997)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Forms (1997)

Ok, I am having a little bit of a problem. I started with a database, too many errors to try to fix them, and now I had to start over. I st arted over. Everything was the same as before. I had things working, but all of a sudden I can not get one of my subforms to work right. I am creating tabs on the main form, and then inserting the forms in the right spot on the main form.

Now, here is where the problem lies: When I am entering a new proposal to a certain company, all of the previous prosposals show up, even though they aren't for that company. When I first created the table and the form, I forgot to put the company name on it. Is this where my problem is? Also, do I need the company from the form proposal to be relationshipped to the company in the company table so that everything will work right?

It was over two months ago since I created the orginal dbase, and I have had nothign but problems with it. That is why I am starting over. Any suggestions to help me. This is my first one that I have created, and I kinda am still learning.....

Thanks!!

Tracy

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Forms (1997)

You should have a unique identifier in (almost) every table; an AutoNumber field is ideal for this because you know that it will never change, once assigned.
    The Proposals table should have a unique identifier of its own, and also contain a company identifier field that is linked to the unique identifier in the Company table.

Access 97 comes with a few interesting sample databases: Northwind, Orders and Solutions. They should be in C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOfficeSamples. I suggest that you take a look at the tables in Northwind and their relationships. They provide a good example of a relational structure.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

If the proposals are in a subform, than it is possible that you haven't established the linking tables between the mainform and the subform. This would retrict the subform to only showing the proposals for the company that is shown on the mainform.
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

New Lounger
    Thanks

is it possible to just go and add to the current subforms (and tables) the correct relationships that would allow me to restrict the subforms to show what matches on the main form or do i have to start all over again with creating the main form and the sub form?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You must set the Link Master Fields and Link Child Fields properties of the subform control on the main form to synchronize the subform with the main form. In your case, both should probably be set to the Company ID field (assuming you have a company identifier in your tables by now).