4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Lost relationships (2000)

Since the search facility is down, I couldn't do my usual search first, so apologies if this has come up recently.

Can anyone tell me if it is normal to lose all relationships between tables when a database is split and/or user level security is applied using the two wizards. I was doing some further work on a database that I have recently both split and applied security to and was surprised to find all my relationships gone. If they disappear in the splitting process, can I/should I reapply them to the linked tables (I don't even know if this is possible) on the front end or re-apply them to the real tables on the back end.

As both splitting and security are new areas for me, I appreciate any advice you can offer.

Peter N

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Lost relationships (2000)

Something must have gone wrong, for both the Database Splitter Wizard and the Security Wizard should maintain existing relationships. I'm afraid I don't know what may have caused this.

If you want to re-create the relationships, do it in the backend. Changes will be reflected in the frontend automatically.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

DId you have relationships between tables that are now in different databases? If so, those will disappear because you both sides are no longer where they were. Relationships within the same database should have been retained. Security should have no effect whatsoever on relationships unless possibly you have set security differently on some tables and are logging in as a user who does not have full permissions, but that would make the tables disappear, not remove the relationships.
    Charlotte

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Who knows what happened. I will keep an eye on it when I split the database and set up the security for real. This was just a test version and after I discovered this problem I decided to use another version of the database that still had the relationships intact.

I will post back if I encounter this again and give more information. Thanks for the prompt replies.

Peter

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Just to make sure we aren't making assumptions that are incorrect, did you indeed use the Database Splitter and the Security wizards, or did you do it manually?
    Wendell

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes I did use the database splitter, but to be perfectly honest, I can't remember whether I did the security by hand. As I was experimenting with the concepts, I was focussed on following the recipe from one of my Knowledge Base articles and I may well have done it by hand. I did do a lot of tweaking using the security manager add in. As I said in a previous post, I will keep an eye on it when I do it for real and let you know if I still have problems.

Peter

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I split and applied security to my database for real today. I did not, in fact use the security wizard on my test database, and I suspect that may be the reason I lost the relationships as I had no problems when I used the security wizard today. BTW wndell, thanks for the tutorial on your website. It was helpful.

A propos of splitting and applying security, is it better to split first and apply security after? I did it the other way around and had to apply security to the back end by hand. If one does the split first, will the security wizard apply the security to both parts?

Peter

Super Moderator
    Thanks

<hr>If one does the split first, will the security wizard apply the security to both parts?<hr>
    AFAIK, the security wizard only works on the database you select, and doesn't know anything about the backend - but to be honest, it's been years since I used the security wizard on a database that was already split. I usually use it only on a database I want to real tie down, and do it before I split, and then do the split by hand by making a copy and deleting tables in one, and everything else in the other (or I use SQL Server as the back-end).
    Wendell