3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Printer Error or File Corruption? (Word 97)

Hi everyone.
    I have a client who has a Word 97 document, normal style Times New Roman 14 point with paragraph spacing set to 14 points after. When this document gets printed to one of the firm's digital printers, some of the characters are overtyped, eg in the word "opinion" for example the "i" before the "n" would be hard up against the "n". We tried pasting the text as unformatted text to a new document and it worked fine - until we modified the style to apply the 14 points.

If another user prints the document to the same printer there is no problem - unless my original user has made a change to it.

It appears to be a problem with the original user's pc or profile affecting the document itself. However, we're not sure where to look for the problem - any ideas?

Thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Printer Error or File Corruption? (Word 97)

Can you investigate which printer drivers each of these users have?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sharp AR-M250 (photocopier) using PCL5e proprietary drivers. The printer was setup on the server and everyone is using the same printer driver.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

My guess is that the printer is substituting a typeface that it has already pre-loaded and ignoring the metrics supplied by the computer. This allows faster printing as the printer does not have to download that particular typeface when printing. At that particular font size there is obviously a problem.

Possible fixes besides checking you have the latest drivers.
    Can you choose a Postscript driver for the same printer?
    Can you find a print setting which asks whether you wish to download fonts on the print job?
    Can you use a postscript typeface rather than the truetype one?
    Is it possible to upload the same typeface as used on the PC? - This may require a separate software tool from the printer supplier.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Andrew.
    We've substituted a different printer driver and this appears to be working. I didn't realise that printer fonts could be substituted by the printer instead of downloaded - probably just never noticed it before as most of my printer and that of my clients is of standard documents where the majority of text is in 12 point.