3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Installation monitor for win2k?

Having just come across the rather good techfacts98 in this group, I then immediately faced disappointment that it doesn't work for win2k. Does anyone know of a good installation monitor for win2k. Filemon and regmon are a little too detailed in their output, and Norton cleansweep is as bad as its always been.

Sorry to ask rather than offer.

maxg

Re: Installation monitor for win2k?

In Control 5 form ZDNet is free:

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.zdnet.com/downloads/stories/info/0,,001CV2,.html>http://www.zdnet.com/downloads/stori...,,001CV2,.html</A>

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Mark:

I don't use Cleansweep anymore, but I used to. I'm curious. What did you find that you didn't like about it?

Thanks.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Phil,

My main problem with Cleansweep under win2k is that it frankly wasn't working. it would not pick up the majoritiy of installations, despite being 2001 with all the liveupdates up to date. I also found that it would often report crucial dll's as being deletable (fortunately I never did, but moved them to another folder), and the report summary windows were often truncated, even when saved to a file or printed. also when starting the uninstall wizard, I would have to wait 5 minutes (under win98) for the hourglass to become a pointer, otherwise selecting any program to uninstall would prompt an analysis of every file on the drive.

True, it did give a measure of analysis, but much of this was obvious, and its recommendations on dll's in windows and win/sys were not reliable. It did offer general cleanup, but I often empty temp files manually, and as my internet connection is so poor (not like you lucky developed world broadbanders), I quite like to keep my temporary internet files.

Because I was using Norton Systemworks I also had the infuration of not being able to choose which elements I had installed etc etc. I also had a lot of problems with liveupdate, which would never resume, and often time out after downloading 1.5 from 1.7Mb in about 30minutes. Never found many of the utilities useful either, I once tried to use the registry monitor to monitor an installation, and fell asleep (admittedly with a 2gb hd and PI in the dim and distant past). I still use norton antivirus, though.

Overall, it seems that there are smaller, lighter, freer (!) utilities to do the job better (although I was struggling to find the win2k version!).

Having said all this, if someone makes an installation monitor which backs up all the files being replaced, catches every installation no matter how sneaky, and tracks the fate of dlls through multiple installations, allowing one to selectively, safely, and completely remove an app, I am ready to buy (and spend 20 mins waiting for every installation to complete for the privilege).

Mark

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Wow. Thanks for the extemely detailed response. You've awakened memories about not trusting it for dlls. I had been thinking about getting it again, per a recommendation in a book I described in <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=book&Number=25580&page=0&vi ew=collapsed&sb=5>this</A> post, but now I'm not so sure.

It seemed to be OK with uninstallation, but all the other utilities weren't so hot.