3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

file download prompt (IE 6)

I would like to know how I can re-activate IE6 so that if there is a link for downloading a file, it will prompt me first, instead of opening the application to view the file content. I somehow clear the check mark for the prompt and now cannot get it back.

Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: file download prompt (IE 6)

AFAIK, this setting is dependent on the file type (extension).

In Windows Explorer, select Tools | Folder Options...
    Activate the File Types tab.
    If want to be prompted for opening/downloading of Word documents, select Word documents (.doc) in the list of file types.
    Click Edit (or Advanced, depending on IE and OS version)
    Check the "Confirm open after download" box.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: png x.png (2.3 KB, 0 views)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I do have those checked as suggested but IE6 still does not prompt me before opening up the Excel. The link is pointing to an csv file and I would just like to save the file in a folder before viewing it. The right click and then save target does not work consistently either.

Thanks

Thanks

It is still not clear exactly what you want to occur or disable, but....

IE > Tools > Internet Options > Advanced > Browsing > Notify when downloads complete.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Somehow on one PC I clear the check mark for "Always ask before opening this type of file" and now when I click on the link, instead of prompting me to Save or Open, IE automatically loads Excel and opens the file.

What I want is to get back to have the prompt (please see the screen capture).

thanks

Thanks

Hi, swhli ~

If you are using IE6 and the above window does not appear, then click here which is a graphic tutorial version of MSKB article 177976 - except select .csv instead of the '.zip' used in the example.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

You might need to make sure you are choosing the correct File Type...

--------------------------------

And if that simplistic answer doesn't work, then you need to select the WRONG File Type!! You will note that .csv files do NOT have a separate "MIME type" -- the Content Type (MIME) line is blank.

Therefore, IE must simply treat the .csv files like Excel Worksheets -- so do the same thing with that File Type. You will note the Excel Worksheets DO have an assigned MIME type (application/vnd.ms-excel).

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

YEP! That has got to be it. Microsoft simply screwed this up -- their right hand doesn't know what their left hand is doing...

WARNING: Deep Geek Content Follows!

The .csv extension does NOT have its own unique MIME Content Type. Oh, we can give it one if you like, but by THEIR design, it does not. IF it DID, then the selecting the "Microsoft Excel Comma Separated Value" File Type would work perfectly well. Eh, but it does not -- and the Explorer shell forgets to check that fact out when it asks you to "Confirm open after download".

This is a complete faux pas by Microsoft. The .csv file is simply treated by Interent Explorer as if it were an ".xls" file. That is the exact function of the MIME Content Type association. Therfore, when you select or deselect the "Confirm open after download" option, the Explorer shell should modify the Excel.Sheet.X's EditFlags (the File Type of the .xls file extension) -- and NOT the EditFlags of the Excel.CSV File Type.

If you prefer to edit the registry instead of using the Folder Options dialog box, the modification is simply as shown -- where the "X" in Excel.Sheet.X is the highest number you have -- or, more exactly, the one shown in the HKCR.xls (Defalut) value.