Star Lounger
    Thanks

4-up long document TOC trouble (Word 2000)

Hi Folks. I have a Windows 98 SE machine and Office 2000. I am editing a 130-page book that is laid out in a rather unique way. There are four 5.5" X "8.r pages on each 11 X 17 page. There are four copies of page 1 on the first page, four page 2s on the reverse side and so forth. This allows the print shop to make only two cuts and end up with 4 books.

The problem is: when I try to make a Table of Contents, Word lists 4 of every page. I've attached a sample so you can see what I mean.

Can anyone help me with this annoying problem?

Thanks.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: 4-up long document TOC trouble (Word 2000)

Your Table of Contents is based on styles (Heading 3 and Title). If you copy a 5.5"x8" page containing these styles, the TOC will pick up the duplicates, because it's set up to include ALL paragraphs formatted with the specified styles. I can think of two ways to get around this:

1. Use modified styles.
    Define styles that are identical to Heading 3 and Title, say Heading 3N and TitleN. Replace Heading 3 and Title by Heading 3N and TitleN in the 3 copies of each page. The duplicate styles should not be in the definition of the TOC, so the TOC will be based on the first instance of each 5.5"x8" page only.

2. Use TC fields.
    You can mark TOC entries manually in the first instance of each 5.5"x8" page. You'll have to delete the present TOC and insert a new one based on TC fields. A lot of work!

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: 4-up long document TOC trouble (Word 2000)

Thankyou! That worked perfectly. That was a great help.