3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

limited account problem (XP Pro SP1)

I have a strange problem on a machine running XP Pro SP1.

Computer administrators can login and run Internet Explorer without problem.

Limited users get an error and the 'send report' dialog shows.

This seems to happen with any limited user I create. If I change their type to an administrator then IE works. If I then change them back to a limited user, the error occurs.

Any ideas?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: limited account problem (XP Pro SP1)

What kind of error message do you get?

Also check IE permissions (in Windows Explorer, navigate to iexplore.exe - usually in c:Program FilesInternet Explorer - than right-click it, choose Properties, Security button, highlight the group of your limited user and check permissions).

If it it not the case, try to assign your limited user to another group (to users instead of power users etc.).

Banned Member
    Thanks

You could read this, it might give you some insight. Read the whole thing. You will see the IE part. IE Permissions

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The permissions on iexplore.exe are fine, it's not a problem with accessing that file.

The problem is that IE itself actually encounters an error. I get one of those messages which says 'Microsoft Internet Explorer has encountered an error. Would like to send a report to Microsoft... blah blah blah' with 'Send' and 'Don't send' buttons. What used to be known (and maybe still is) as a General Protection Fault.

I don't want to have to reinstall windows because of this, so it would be great if someone has encountered this before and knows how to fix it.

Just to clarify the problem again, this only happens with LIMITED account users. Administrators can run IE with no problem. If I change an administrator to a user then that person can't run IE. If I change them back again then they can. If create a new limited account then that account can't run IE. If I change them to an administrator then they can run it. If I change them back again then they can't.

Thanks,

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts

Adam, This sure seems like a permissions problem. Did you install IE to the default folder? Do the limited users have access to all the system folders? Make sure they have appropriate access (read, read/write) to TIF.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

Have you Power User instead of limited user. Try logging in as an Administrator, right click on My Computer and select Manage. Open Local Users and Groups and click on users. Right click on the limited user you created earlier and select properties. Select Member Of | Add | Advanced | Find Now. Highlight Power user and confirm all the way out. Log in and see if that makes a difference.