Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Win XP Delay (Windows XP Pro SP1)

Using Win XP Pro on Dell Dimension 4550. When I boot up into Windows, the desktop appears but when I launch a program by double-clicking, there is a delay of about 30-40 seconds before the program starts. For example, I launch Explorer and it can't find all of the drives and folders/files until after the delay. Or I launch my dial-up icon, and it won't present me with the dialog box until after the delay. After the delay programs work OK.

I have already checked what's in STARTUP folder and nothing there. I have checked the registry and looked at RUN and RUN ONCE and anything else I could think of but found nothing suspicious. I have no other programs running (that I know of). Obviously there is some process running but I don't know what it is. I never had this problem on other PCs (not this one) with Win 2000.

Thanks for the help.

.....Art

Banned Member
    Thanks

Re: Win XP Delay (Windows XP Pro SP1)

Are you own a Network? If so that delay could be related to your computer looking for your other computers and there shared files.

Banned Member
    Thanks

Yeah, I forgot about that one. Good thinking Viking.

Thanks

Have you installed the infamous Hotfix 811493, that slowed IE (and your system) down to a crawl? If so, remove it ASAP. It's a speed killer.

Bob
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Thanks

Also see posts <post#=247440>post 247440</post#> and posts <post#=247433>post 247433</post#> for more details about this quickfix??

Bob
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Art,

If uninstalling the hotfix that Bob (Viking) noted doesn't help, start the Task Manager at boot time by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ESC and see what is pegging the CPU usage. It would be interesting to see if this monitoring app also takes time to start. Alsao, if you boot into Safe Mode, what happens?
    -Mark

New Lounger
    Thanks

well, I'm not on a network so I need to keep digging for the answer.
    .....Art

New Lounger
    Thanks

Bob,
    that hotfix is not installed according to BELARC. The only one I have installed is Q331060. Maybe I should have other ones too, but as soon as I bought this new PC in December, I turned off the MS automatic updates because of all the problems I heard about them.
    .....Art

Thanks

Art,
    See Mark's post above. Also did you at least install the SP1 on XP? There have been a LOT of hotfixes out since and the only one I have had trouble with is the one I mentioned in the first post.

Bob
    BOB

Today it is called golf!

Thanks

BTW, What is that hotfix number? I don't even see it on mine?

Bob
    BOB

Today it is called golf!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

By the way did you put a stop watch to this 30-40 seconds or does it just seem like that long?
    I having visited several people's machines stating the same problem, but with timing it, it turned out to be 10 seconds.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Bob:

the pc came with Win XP Pro SP 1. I may have only installed the one hotfix Q331060 (if I did, it wasn't intentional) since I disabled automatic updates a couple of days after I got the PC in December 2002.
    .....Art

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I suppose it depends on what point you consider that XP is "ready to start programs". If you can manage to get Task Manager => Processes to appear sufficiently rapidly, you will see quite a considerable amount of activity, as various start-up processes start, do their work, and terminate (some of them, that is!).

Microsoft is just fooling you by making it appear that XP has started very rapidly -- but really all you're being presented with is the desktop, and a lot more work has to be done under the covers before you can get a look in... I suspect that Microsoft would say that XP was performing as designed!

I had a lot of trouble with double-clicking on Outlook Express when it still had the egg-timer up. XP seems to start, then do egg-timer for many seconds, then the egg-timer disappears for a couple of seconds, then returns for many more seconds and then you can start running programs! I 'solved" this by putting Outlook Express in Startup -- so that XP could work out for itself when to start OE!
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Super Moderator
    Thanks

And if you have a NETWORK, a AV, a FIREWALL, and anything else that needs to be loaded at start up, it is going take more time. I think it is these programs that need to be speeded up, NOT Windows. I know that my AV (NAV) and network, seems to be the slowest items.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Dave:

Well, I finally timed it and was shocked. I booted up, once the Desktop settled down, I double-clicked on the dial-up connectoid, and measured the time it took for the connectoid window to appear. It took 1 minute 14 seconds. I even tried it again. And it took 1 minute 19 seconds. I was surprised that it took so long.
    .....Art

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast