2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Per diems, hotel (2000)

Hi gang,
    In my project resources will travel. I want to link the per diems and hotel expenses to the duration of the activity. They can be working 6 days in the field but it is spread over a week-end. This means the work days are 6 and the duration is 8. I need to allow for 8 days of hotel and perdiem. I could enter it manually (8 x $xx) but it would make it much more easier for me if it could be linked to the duration of the activity.
    Any ideas?
    Tks

Thanks

Re: Per diems, hotel (2000)

<post#=196827>post 196827</post#> and its threads may give you some ideas. Since the search facility is not working, when looking at all project posts starting from the most recent, go to page 3 and look in the middle of the page for a topic of per diem.

Post back if this does not help solve your problem.
    Regards,

Gary
    (It's been a while!)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Good stuff, but not quite what I need.
    I need to keep track of $ for per diems and hotels separately from fees (days in the field).
    and (to repeat myself) it would really be great if I could just hook up the perdiem and hotel daily rates to a task and the total $ for each would be calculated automatically depending on how long the task lasts (duration of task vs days of work).
    any idea is welcome
    tks

Thanks

The only way I can think to get this to work is as follows:

1. Set up your tasks as usual with a five day workweek calendar (typically the standard calendar)
    - On the advanced tab (double click on the task), check scheduling ignores resource calendars.
    2. Modify the defalut of the tasks so they are not effort driven. You may also need to set them to a type of fixed duration. (You should be able to do this so all new tasks default to this setting.) This will avoid the tasks being re-scheduled when resources with other calendars are added.
    3. Create a new calendar, called Per Diem set to seven days.
    4. To get the perdiem, you will need to create a per diem resource. That is, create a resource for each different perdiem rate. Assign the per-diem resources to the Per Diem Calendar. The per diem resource will be of work type with cost as x dollars per day.
    5. Assign the perdiem resource to the task. If you have multiple resources on the task, then you will need to set the percent resource available as related. (i..e, 2 resources, 200% - this may be a problem if the number of resources keep changing)

The Cost field will have your total cost calculated as hourly rates for each resource plus the daily cost for each per diem resource.

** This will not work if the task is set to effort driven.

This is the only way (not foolproof) that I know of to do this.

HTH
    Regards,

Gary
    (It's been a while!)