Lounger
    Thanks

Document is already in use (not) (XP SR-1 Spanish)

I made the mistake of setting two accounts to share the same directory as the virtual "My Documents" folder. Thought I was cleverly setting up a split personality, one that didn't load up a lot of programs at startup, to be used for maintenance purposes, and one for work.

Ha.

All I seem to have achieved - and cannot undo - is that every time I open any Office 97 document - and occasionally documents in other programs, too - I get an error message telling me the document is already in use by me. It seems to try to open each document twice. At one point I thought it was when I opened something by double-clicking, but it also happens from the Most Recently Used list.

I have now set the Maintenance account to use a different real directory as My Documents, but this behavior just persists. I wonder whether anyone might have a suggestion.

MTIA

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Document is already in use (not) (XP SR-1 Spanish)

Are you using Fast User Switching to change users and leaving the Office application(s) open? If so, that's your problem - the document is still open, along with other Office files, just not visible. You would need to log off completely before you could open it as a different user.

If that's not the case, post back and let us know.
    -Mark

Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>Are you using Fast User Switching to change users and leaving the Office application(s) open? If so, that's your problem - the document is still open, along with other Office files, just not visible. You would need to log off completely before you could open it as a different user.<hr>

Yes, I realize that. This behavior happens from the very first time I open any Office doc by double-clicking after booting up, with no user switching whatsoever (I actually do very little user switching, and I tend to use the slow method anyway). Other methods of opening documents get variable results, but double-clicking seems to be consistent, yet Explorer is set to open files by double-clicking - I'm too clumsy for single-clicking.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Check your files folder for some temp files and delete them. These may be telling the OS that the files are in use.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

<hr> I'm too clumsy for single-clicking.<hr>
    Or maybe smart enough not to use it? I've always found it a hassle. Let us know if Dave's suggestion helps out.
    -Mark

Lounger
    Thanks

No temp files, either. It also happens with files I'm opening for the very first time.