Star Lounger
    Thanks

Should we?? (814995 fix for 328310)

Guys,
    I really need your educated computer advice on this one because I sure don't know what the heck to do! MS made a non-critical patch #814995 for the screwed up critical update 328310 claiming that it fixes the timing problem. The thing that it did in my machine was remove all my pointer in my Control Panel ADD/Delete! Now I can't remove the programs because the ADD/Remove option on my programs are gone.

Anyway, would one of you guys please tell the mechanic if I should install this fix or not? I can't tell you how happy I was with all the help I got when my machine was running so slow and I suspected it was ONE of the new patches, but I sure didn't know to say the least and you guys pitched in and told me EXACTLY which patch to remove and all was well once again. Then MS made it known NOT to install this patch after a whole bunch of stir was created.

So Dave or one of you EXPERTS as far as I'm concerned are would you please advise me on what to do because I'll sure follow your lead once again! THANK YOU ALL ONCE AGAIN FOR THE LAST and thanks in advance for this time too! I feel VERY lucky to be a member of Woody's Lounge. I was so impressed with his email posting he sends out I bought his book Windows XP for Dummies. Very good book Woody Leonhard!! :-)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Should we?? (814995 fix for 328310)

I'm not a Windows expert. I've got both 328310 and 814995 on my PC and I still have all items in Add/Remove Programs, and have no cause to suspect them of misbehavior. If the information from Microsoft is correct, the flaw in the original update is minor, and shouldn't cause items in Add/Remove Programs to disappear. I doubt whether the patch will remedy that. Can you go back to a restore point from before installing 328310? After that, try installing both.

Banned Member
    Thanks

Are youu saying the Add/Remove Icon is missing in control panel? If so, go to Start, Search, click on all files and folders, and type this , Appwiz.cpl , in both boxes and push search. When that file comes up double click on it and see if Add/Remove box comes up.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cowboy,
    No, I'm saying that ALL of my programs in Control Panels ADD/Remove programs has lost their pointers that permits you to remove/add a program like it used to. Now If you click on what's left it highlights it and tells you how often you use the program like "Rarely" "sometimes" or some BS like that. I did what YOU told me to do and did the search with Appwiz.cpl in both boxes and it found NO results. Then I added *.* to each box and it filled the page so I knew you didn't want me to do that. I also did the seach on my C: drive which has to be the drive because that's all I have. Cowboy if you have anymore ideas how to get these back I'd sure apprecite it because a lot of my programs have had updates done to the drivers and would be a real @#$!% to look up the original drivers and reload EVERYTHING once again. However, when I did do this to the more current stuff it did re-install the ADD/Remove option to the program just like it did before I installed that dang patch! I noticed most of you are using Pro where I am using Home Edition XP.

BTW I took Hans advice and installed the fix for 328310 and 814995 and don't seem to have any problems for now. Thanks for digging for me guys I feel much better doing this when you all tell me that it's ok to do this because I've really lost confidence in MS and their PATCH system! If anyone has anymore ideas with out me having to do a Repair install over my existing XP program I'd much rather do that for sure ..........thanks so much once again .................Jeff T

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Your installation suppose to have several copies of APPWIZ.CPL file: in C:WINDOWSSYSTEM32 folder, in C:WINDOWSSYSTEM32DLLCACHE folder and, if you installed SP1, in C:WINDOWSServicePackFilesi386 folder. Make sure that your Windows Explorer shows all files (Tools | Folder Options | View, check "Show hidden files and folders" and uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types" and "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)", confirm). When you are doing the search, don't forget to check "Advanced Search Options".

If you do not have APPWIZ.CPL file on your hard drive, you can extract it from your installation CD. To do so, insert the CD, click Start | Run and type:
    expand d:i386appwiz.cp_ c:windowssystem32appwiz.cpl
    (make sure you have blank spaces before d: and c: and WINDOWS is your Windows folder) and hit Enter.

Properties of original APPWIZ.CPL file: size 545 KB, date 08/17/2001, version 5.1.2600.0
    Properties of updated APPWIZ.CPL file: size 565 KB, date 08/29/2002, version 5.1.2600.1106

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Kaplinb,
    You were right on target with your info. The only way however I can restore the Change/Remove option is to reload the program itself. For instance I have Nero CD burner software. The copy I had loaded when I lost my pointers now only states how often I use it less the option of Change/Remove is GONE! Then I downloaded the upgrade that's available (it's actually the exact same that I had I keep them up to date) I now have two copies of the program. I guess I'd be smart to remove the one that I can because it eats up 33mb of disc space and I have a 20G hhd. I do have SP1 loaded and just like you said the APPWIZ.CPL is in ALL the places you said it would be once I uncheck "Show hidden filesand folders". I'm wondering what the smart move is about the duplicate software? Would you remove the copy of the one you can or would you leave it so if you wanted to you could remove it at a later date for some reason. Please let me know what you'd do if this was your machine and thank you once again for the great help.

JeffT

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

If you chose install newer (or the same) version of Nero as "upgrade", you probably have only one installation of Nero on your computer, usually in C:Program Filesaheadnero folder. Check it - chances are you didn't loose 33 MB of space. The reason you see two entries on "Installed Programs" list is you have corrupted Registry entries. Absence of "Change/Remove" button on one of them supports this version.
    Open Regedit (Start | Run, type REGEDIT and hit Enter). Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentV ersionUninstall and look for keys (folders) named "Nero- burning Rom!" or similar. If you have listed Nero twice, there suppose to be two keys with different names. Look under "Ahead" also. The good one has to have DisplayIcon, DisplayName and UninstallString values (on the right pane). UninstallString looks like
    C:Windowsunnero.exe /uninstall
    or similar. This is the command to uninstall Nero (you can execute it from Run dialog, for example). If you want Nero to be listed only once on "Installed Programs" list, you can delete duplicate key using Regedit (don't do it if you are unfamiliar with it!), or using Tweak UI PowerToy for Windows XP.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Kaplinb,
    You were exactly right, Nero's latest upgrade 551028 just upgraded my latest Nero program. I did the regedit and found only one entry which proves I didn't lose the 33mb as you said I didn't. I did a lot a looking and I fumbled across what has caused my problem of showing these Icons in Remove/Add programs in control panel. My system when I first got it was a dual boot system with Windows 98 and Full version of Home XP. If you look at Microsoft bulletin 286731 it states that any program that was entered while you had a dual boot system then remove Win98 that this very thing that I have WILL happen. Even my Tweak UI for XP is there on my desktop as a Shortcut and is in ADD/Remove, but I can't remove the thing or do anything with it. Same as my Micorsoft Basline Security Analyzer. I went into regedit and deleted every possible key I could find for it and when I try to reinstall it I get an error message stating that there already is a version of this program on my machine which we know is incorrect.....the ONLY thing I have left is the line in ADD/Remove programs. Apparently this is enough to make it think that it's still on my machine. I wish I knew where this Icon file was located for ADD/Remove because I could simply remove the Icons and reinstall the programs. As I said because of this I can't even reinstall MSBA because it "thinks" the program is loaded. I thought it would simply overwrite the program, but it won't.

Kaplinb, THANK YOU so much for taking you time to help me. If you have any other ideas were I can delete these Icons from please let me know. However once you read the Service Bulletin I believe you'll agree with me that the programs aren't installed and I just have false Icons that won't permit me to reinstall like MSBA or Tweakie UI. BTW, I'm sorry I haven't responded before now, but I've been very sick. I just got out of the hospital again yesterday. Your help is GREATLY appreciated because when you're very sick things like this become a much bigger issue because you can't think like you used to and for this I wish to express much gratitude to you and the guys/gals on this list that have helped me now and in the past. If anybody knows where MS has these Icons hide please drop me a line if you would.

Thank you kindly,
    JeffT