New Lounger
    Thanks

hp photosmart 7350 (xp pro)

can't install printer on xp

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: hp photosmart 7350 (xp pro)

There are many people on the lounge who would be happy to help you install your printer, what happens when you try to install it?

StuartR

New Lounger
    Thanks

the program starts installing the drivers with instructions not to connect to the printer untill told to. After part of the install a screen advising to connect to the printer comes up, upon connecting the computer recogonizes the printer and the other devices on the disk, but then instead of finishing the install the computer just sits in idle with no more activity for a few minutes at which time another screen will come up telling me that the printer is not connected??? to try again, I do this and the system just freezes...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Although it doesn't sound like your problem, there is a patch for an Installation problem with this printer on HP's web site.

The other thing I would try is to disconnect the printer, delete the printer from within Device Manager, reboot, and then start the installation from the CD again.

StuartR

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your response. After spending 4 hours on the phone with HP and still not having the problem corrected took the printer and computer to my son-in-laws home in Md. where he worked with it for 7 hours to no avail. At that time we both gave up on getting it to work and I was going to return the printer to staples for a refund. Enter my daughter, first thing she asks is if the xp service pack 1 is installed???? I had not installed it because of all the negative talk I heard about it...Well to make for a happy ending, downloaded SP1 and that ended the problem....The printer software installed on the 1st. try and has been perfect since....No one at HP ever mentioned anything about SP1.....Thanks again for your help