2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Writing to a CD-R/RW from Access (Access 2K)

We currently maintain an Access 97 application running in Win95 that we're looking at porting to Access 2000 on Win2K or XP. A component of the application provides the operator the capability to write data and DB backups to a floppy. Our logistics folks would like to do away with the floppy and write to a CD instead. The catch is that the process of preparing the CD-R/RW for writing and then closing it afterward needs to be integrated into the ported app. Does anyone know of a way to programatically do these things? DirectCD doesn't have an SDK, but something like that would be most desirable.

Thanks.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Writing to a CD-R/RW from Access (Access 2K)

Bill,
    You mentioned DirectCD which is a component of Roxio EZCD Creator. This supports drag and drop to the CDRW.
    You can use VB to copy the file to the CDRW or call a batch file to do the copying.
    I use version 6 of CD creator and although I don't do automated backups from the database, I copied a file to the CD through the command prompt and it worked.
    Scott

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Writing to a CD-R/RW from Access (Access 2K)

I understand this, but the problem is that the application has to handle everything from within itself. We can't go to explorer to drag and drop files or to a wizard in DirectCD to setup and close the CD. In other words, there needs to be a form or dialog in the app that offers to open the CD-R when the operator clicks the OK button, etc. The question is are there any products out there or some other way to provide these capabilities through VBA in Access?

Thanks for the info.