New Lounger
    Thanks

Compact and Repair (XP)

I'm trying to add a Compact and Repair option to my new database. I get an error stating that Compact and Repair cannot be used in VB or a macro. I know I can add it to a custom menu, but I'm not planning on using a menu. The database is all driven by control buttons on the forms and I'd like to keep it that way. Is there any way to use the Compact and Repair option without a menu?

As a secondary question, is there any way to open a database without any menus?

Searching my way through this site has been a real learning experience!
    Thanks in advance.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Compact and Repair (XP)

Which database are you trying to compact? Access XP has a compact on close option that will compact the database automatically when the last user exits. Were you trying to compact a different database or what? If you provide more information, someone will be able to help you. It is possible to compact from code, but not the current database. That can only be done from the UI.

It isn't a good idea to open a database entirely without menus unless you have a failsafe alternative for navigating the application. Most of us use custom menubars as an alternative because we can control exactly what appears on them. You can turn off the built-in menubars from Tools-->Startup.
    Charlotte

New Lounger
    Thanks

The compact on close option did the trick. Didn't realize that was there.

The database is all on one tabbed form, so navigation should not be an issue. When removing the built-in menus from Tools -- Startup, I still get a default menu with fewer options. Any way to remove that default menu as well? Or am I just nuts for wanting to do so?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you distribute a runtime version of the application, the menus won't be there. I always have at least one item on a default menu, File-->Close. Make sure you close the visible menubars by rightclicking the toolbar area and unchecking any that appear. Then close the database and reopen it. Keep in mind that while you are building this, you need those menus!
    Charlotte

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, sounds like just the ticket!