New Lounger
    Thanks

windows explorer (win xp pro + sp1)

Windows explorer will not start (open) at any time.
    Thank you
    T J

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: windows explorer (win xp pro + sp1)

Can you open (double click or click, depending on your settings) My Computer or My Documents from the desktop?
    If you can, select View | Explorer Bar | Folders. What happens? Do you see the "Windows Explorer" view, or do you get an error message?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

What happens - do you get an error message? How are you trying to run it? If you're clicking the item in the Start Menu structure, try the WinKey-E alternative or use the Run command and type in "explorer.exe" (no quotes). It will help if you give us a tad more to go on.....

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

TJ--

Are you getting any error messages like "Explorer.exe has generated errors...", ect.? When you ctrl+alt+delete and bring up Task Manager, is explorer.exe consuming near 100% CPU? Is Norton Clean Sweep installed? Will it open if you open Task Mgr. and on the applications tab, hit the "New Task" button and type in explorer.exe? Often spyware like Xupiter and other homepage hijackers can cause this; Hotbar can as well. Download and run Adaware 6 and Spybot Search and Destroy and install all updates. Scan for spybots with SSD and restart and scan once more. This may help.
    Do any of the 130510: Command Line Switches for Windows Explorer or 314853: Explorer.exe Command Line Switches for Windows XP work?

Can you open it by right clicking the start button from that menu? How about Shift + double clicking any disk or folder icon? What happens when you type "explorer" no quotes in the run box or at the dos prompt? At the dos prompt if you type "explorer /e,." (explorer space slash comma period) does it open or does it open with any of the switches in Windows 9X Tips: Exploring(many of these will work in XP configurations)?

SMBP

New Lounger
    Thanks

Big Al
    Thanks
    WinKey-E brings up the same message Windows Explorer has enc.....
    With the Run command Windows Explorer OPENS and RUNS. I went back to my docs that works and also my computer now opens and runs.
    How did you do that
    T J

New Lounger
    Thanks

When I click on My Documents or My Computer neither starts.
    The message is == Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close.

Sorry for the time lapse. WORK
    T J

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

TJ--
    Now are you able to open Explorer normally? It's not clear. If you click Start or use Windows + "E" key are you able to open it without the error message?
    314867: Explorer.exe Has Generated Errors and Will Be Closed by Windows. If you haven't loaded Norton Clean Sweep in Norton Utilities/System Works, I would seriously consider spyware. It can interfere with opening Windows Explorer and most people alternate between the spyware that's on their machine and the time shortly after they have run apps like Ad Aware and Spybot.

SMBP

New Lounger
    Thanks

SMBP
    I do have ad-aware run a deep scan right now. I have used this on a 'regular' schedule. I did follow your lead to spybot search and destroy. I am at a University on a T1 so there is a lot of traffic here. I do use zone alarm. I am looking for anything that works
    Thanks
    T J