New Lounger
    Thanks

Look Up Table (2002)

Hi folks
    I am using a look up table for peoples names, I have two fields firstname and surname. On the form to look up these names I can only work out how to get one column to appear ie surname as the look up list. Is it possible to get both parts of name to appear or will I have to join surname and firstname together as one field to be able to do this. I hope I have explained this well.
    Turniphead

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Look Up Table (2002)

You don't mention what control you are using to display the lookup list. If it is a combo box: you can display multiple columns in the dropdown list, but only one in the text box part of the combo box. To display the complete name in the text box part, you must create a query that concatenates first name and last name.

Post back with more details of your situation if you would like more help.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I will need to create a query to concatenate the first and last name as I would like to display the complete name in the text box part.
    Some help would be appreciated

Cheers
    Turniphead

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Create a query based on the lookup table. If you have an ID field (for instance an AutoNumber field), add that to the query grid. In the first empty column, enter the following expression:

FullName: [LastName] & ", " & [FirstName]

where LastName and FirstName should be replaced by the field names you use for last and first name. If you like, you set the sort order for FullName to ascending. Save this query, and use it as Row Source of the combo box.

If you included an ID field in the query, you must set the Number of Columns of the combo box to 2, and Column Widths to 0";1" (or something like that) to hide the ID field.