4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Missing folder in Windows Explorer

NAV advises I have an infected file in the C:RecycledNprotect folder. Windows Explorer does not show this folder. How can I get it to do so?

Banned Member
    Thanks

Re: Missing folder in Windows Explorer

They are in your Norton Protected Recycle Bin.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

This is not so. I have restored the file from quarantine. It does not appear in Windows Explorer. There is no subfolder Nprotect under the Recycled folder nor does it appear under the Norton protected Recycle Bin. I have searched for the restored file using Find:All Files, but it has not been found. It seems to have vanished into thin air.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

In Windows Explorer, View, Folder Options, make sure you have a checkmark in the box to show all hidden files. I don't use NAV so I don't know much about that protected recycle bin, but Norton could be hiding it from you.

Banned Member
    Thanks

I'm sorry, from what I have read, it was my asumption that any file in Norton protected Recycle Bin is going to be called or refered to as an Nprotect file or folder. Because the only files that are protected by Norton, are in the Norton protected Recycle Bin. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. I will keep looking to see what I can find out. Did the file have a name that was placed in C:RecycledNprotect folder? And do what Doc said and make sure you are showing Hidden Files and Folders.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, Show Hidden Files is checked. The file in question, reputedly in C:RecycledNprotect is 00001223.exe. A recent scan of my hard disk shows that it has been joined by two other files also infected with Trojan Horse. They are 00002693.exe and 00002695.exe. Are these things breeding?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, like I said, I don't use NAV so I can't tell you what to do. But, I would think that when NAV finds something during a "scan" that it would give you the opportunity to DELETE the trouble maker and not put it in a Recycle Bin, thence to continue "warning" you about it. We'll have to wait until a NAV-experienced Lounger can chime in with something for you to try.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The Recycle Bin, or more specifically C:RecycledNprotect, is where NAV purportedly found the infected file. It was then put into Quarantine from where I can delete it. However I wanted to submit it to SARC for analysis and not being able to connect to SARC I was advised by Norton to submit it by e-mail. To do this I had to restore the file to its original location so I could attach it to the e-mail. The killer is, C:RecycledNprotect does not seem to exist in Windows Explorer even though Show Hidden Files is checked. Running a virus scan again finds the infected file in C:RecycledNprotect. And so it goes on!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I probably have a very different version of Norton Anti-Virus to you, but mine allows you to export Virus infected files from within the NAV application...

StuartR
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: gif x.GIF (12.1 KB, 0 views)

Banned Member
    Thanks

I use PC Cillin and I have never had to do that kinda stuff. I don't get it. When PC Cillin stops a virus, it goes into Quaratine and it ask me if I want to Clean it, Delete it or leave it in Quaratine. I never have been asked to export a virus.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't have Norton Utilities now, but I did many years ago. Normally, when you delete a file completely or empty the recycle bin, Windows merely renames it by changing the first letter. It exists, but is available to be overwritten & can't be used by other applications. When I used Nortion Utilities, the protected recycled bin gave one more chance to "undelete" a file that had been deleted by keeping track of the name change. I'm not sure if it also prevents it from being overwritten.

Since it sounds like you have Norton Utilities, check to see how to restore a deleted file from Help. If it's already been overwritten, then you're out of luck. (Actually, there are ways to recover a deleted file that has been overwritten, but it could cost thousands. Hardly worth it for a virus.)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, normally one can submit files from within NAV. However, for some reason I am unable to connect with the SARC server and Symantec advised me to submit the file as an attachment to an e-mail.