5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

IP Address Conflict and Blue Window of Doom Crash (xp sp1)

New computer, noticing this am with a Sprint pcs wireless card to access the internet, occaisionally I would get a memory dump blue window of doom saying I have an IP address conflict etc.
    Now seems okay.
    Anything I should know, I think XP crashes as much as 95 vs win 2000
    Thanks
    Jerome

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: IP Address Conflict and Blue Window of Doom Cr

A little more info would help - is the machine on a LAN as well as the internet? If so, are you using DHCP? Are you sure that ALL the settings required by your ISP are correct? Your statement about "XP crashes" is the exception rather than the rule for most people, so there's a snake in your woodpile somewhere.....

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

ThanksNew ibm thinkpad with wireless and wired internet capability, the wireless evidently had an IBM wireless web sniffer working to see if any wireless sites around. ( iam just getting used to its capabilities)
    I also had Boingo wireless software running and A sprint card running connecting to the internet through the sprint wireless network.
    I think Boingo which is also a wireless internet sniffer was colliding with the native IBM wireless sniffer. If i close out either one then ( I don't want to tempt the Gods) so far so ...... Maybe the two were buting heads vying for the same adress??? I am not certain what DHCP is or where to find it.
    Jerome

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Jerome--

DHCP explained here. View your network connections either by Ctrl Panel>Network Connections>Local Area Connection Status>General and Support tabs or putting "cmd" in the run box and at the dos prompt typing "ipconfig /all" without quotes. MS has helpful info spun off the links Get Mobile and you might find helpful info at the Navas site. Also see Networking and Win XP Wireless and Technet: Wireless Lan and Windows XP.

SMBP

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Many thanks for all the good information
    Jerome