Thread: File New Icon

Thanks

File New Icon

Using Word 97 at work. I have a new normal.dot distributed to me by a colleague so that we all have access to various styles in it and some other templates distributed at the same time. The normal.dot he has sent me gives FileNew... (i.e. it opens the dialog box for me to choose a template) when I click on the FileNew button. I prefer to just get the FileNew option (i.e. a document based on Normal.dot). So I have customised the toolbar, removed the icon that was there, added in the one I want and saved normal.dot, then exited Word. The only trouble is - when I open Word again, the icon I don't want has come back again (next to the one I do want). It doesn't seem to matter what I do - delete it, move it, etc. - next time it pops back again. Not life threatening but an annoyance. Any ideas?

Ian

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: File New Icon

Ian,

This forum has a lot of good discussions about templates and normal.dot. You should do a search for the threads.

From what I have garnered from these threads is that your colleague should have created a template that contains the styles, etc., and named it something other than normal.dot. You wouldn't be getting this annoyance.

But, the best thing for you to do is read some of the threads here.

HTH (hope this helps)

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Ian:

There may be another global template or add-in that is placing the icon on the toolbar. Do the following:
    1) Search your hard drive for the Word startup folder. In Word 2000, it's at C:WINDOWSApplication DataMicrosoftWordSTARTUP, but I'm not sure about Word 97.

2) Once you find it, see if there are any templates in it. There probably are. Open them one at a time & remove the button. Make sure that you save changes to that template.

3) I suppose that there might be an AutoExec macro that puts the button on the toolbar, but that would be an extreme way to make sure it's there.

Post back if this doesn't work.

Thanks

It is also possible that your friend put a macro into your Normal.dot that creates the button. (If so, I would be careful of his/her other macros.)

I have icons for both on my toolbars. I customized the one that calls up the FileNew dialog by making the page on the button a different color. You might want to try doing that.

Keeping all of your customizations in Normal.dot is probably not a good idea and swapping Normal.dot is a poor way to transfer customizations. You and your friend may want to look into global templates.

See <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm>Template Basics</A> (www.addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm) for more on templates (user and workgroup), global templates and Normal.dot.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

BAM

Hi Ian,

Take a look under Tools/Templates and Add-Ins and see if you have any global templates or add-ins loaded.

If so, then I suspect that the FileNew... command resides on one of the templates rather than your Normal.dot. Remove the check from each one and then "test" your New command on the toolbar.

Note that the templates that you see in the Global templates and add-ins list are stored in your WordStartup folder. You can open the template from there and remove the FileNew... command.

When you go to the Customize toolbars dialog box, by default you are customizing the toolbars for Normal.dot. Make sure that on the Commands tab "Save in" at the bottom reflects the name of the template prior to making any changes or you run into the same problem again.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Cheers!

Thanks

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I've looked and as far as I can see, it isn't an add-in, nor a template in the startup folder, nor a macro that's doing it. And I have ensured that Normal.dot is displayed in 'Save In'. Any more ideas?

Ian

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Ian:

Are you on a network? Contact the administrator. They may have a global template for all users that you aren't allowed to access which is putting the button on the toolbar.

BAM

Hi Ian,

How odd...

What you are describing is a command on the toolbar that comes from another template.

First double check the location of your Startup folder in Tools/Options/File Locations.

Also in Tools/Templates and Add-Ins did you check to see if there was an attached template other than Normal?

You can try resetting your Standard toolbar, however that will remove other customizations you may have made.

If you do have some additional commands, you can drag them to the Formatting toolbar before resetting. Then you can just drag them back into place once the toolbar is reset.

If that isn't it then perhaps there is a little corruption in your Registry.

Follow the steps in this article:
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/AppErrors/MissingMenusEtc.htm>http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/AppErr...ngMenusEtc.htm</A>

But in Step 3, delete/rename just the Toolbars value on the right rather than the entire Data key.

That way you will not lose any customizations and preferences you have set for Word.

Note that you may need to Reset the Standard toolbar again after this.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Cheers!