New Lounger
    Thanks

Delete a Notepad

Does anybody know how is it possible to remove (delete or rename) Notepad application in Win2K?
    During my every attempt (in both WINNT and SYSTEM32 folders), the file notepad.exe is restored automatically.
    I see my post is very similar to the post #172569, which still has no answer.

A.M.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Delete a Notepad

Up front I must admit I don't actively use W2K, but rather XP. Even in XP I find it easier to handle the problem by changing the file associations to whatever app you choose to use instead of Notepad. Like David, in the post you referenced, I use NoteTab but the Lite version doesn't have the Help selection he mentioned.

In earlier versions of Windows, it used to be possible to RENAME Notepad.Exe to something else, and then rename the app you want to use as Notepad.Exe, provided it was placed in the correct directory. Could you try that trick in W2K and see what happens?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Notepad is restored automatically because it is a protected system file in Windows 2000/XP. But as Al notes, I can't see any reason to delete it - rather, change the association for TXT and any other file types to open with the application you prefer. If you want to successfully delete/rename the file, you must first rename the copy that resides in %systemdir%System32Dllcache. That's where protected files are restored from.
    -Mark

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you, Mark, for the solution.

Rgds -

A.M.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Al,

It doesn't work. Pls see the Mark solution.

A.M.