New Lounger
    Thanks

File Synchronisation in office email (Office 2000 Windows 2000 Pro)

I have a desktop, two notebooks and travel a lot; how do I set up Briefcase or such similar command in Windows 2000 Pro or in Office (wherever) so that my email files are common and up to date across all systems? thanks Darryl

Thanks

Re: File Synchronisation in office email (Office 2000 Windows 2000 Pro)

Are you using Outlook 2000 or Outlook Express? Are you connecting to Exchange Server or using only POP/IMAP mail?

(These questions are not to suggest that I know some simple answer, but then we can move this over to the best board for your needs.)

New Lounger
    Thanks

I am using Windows 2000Pro with Outlook 2000 on 2 pc's and XPPro and Office 2000 on the notebook, all using POP mail either using ADSL link or via dailup.
    thanks for any help
    Darryl

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Just a couple thoughts as I haven't had to do this. One thing you could do is set up one email program on one computer has the "master"...i.e. when you download messages, they are removed from the server. Then you at least know where all your messages are. The other email programs (even if they're identical programs) should be set to leave messages on the server.

If you use the same email program on all your machines, there should be a way to export or import all your messages & settings. e.g. I use Netscape for mail. If I had it on more than one machine, I could just copy the mail folders from my "master".

There are problems synchronizing with Briefcase. One is that each comparison is only between two files. I don't have the chance to test whether it will update all files that have identical paths. However, another problem is that your email folders will easily exceed the size of a floppy, so trying to carry briefcase on a floppy & copying to each computer is not possible.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You could create the PST file on one PC and then Sync it to a briefcase on the hard drive of each laptop. There are three drawbacks to this...

1. <LI>Each time you SYNC'd the briefcase you would have to copy the entire PST file, this could be slow if it is large
      <LI>You would have to SYNC the briefcase before touching your mail from a different PC, as there is no way to reconcile multiple different changes from different PCs
      <LI>Briefcase is a bit buggy, you would occassionally find that you had lost some mail
    I prefer Phil's idea, configure the mail clients on the laptops to read your mail AND LEAVE IT ON THE SERVER
    Download the mail and clear it from the server when you are using the main PC.

I can't remember exactly where this setting is on Outlook 2000, this screenshot is from Outlook 2002

StuartR
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: gif x.GIF (13.5 KB, 0 views)

Thanks

With Outlook and POP mail, you need the entire PST file (or even more than one, if you have archives) to replicate your environment. If you buy a portable 20-40GB USB or FireWire hard drive, and use that to back up for your PST file(s), that will go a long way toward easing the huge amount of copying you'll have to do. Note that toolbar, macro, Outlook Bar (shortcuts), and account settings are all in different files/registry keys in Outlook 2000, so this just isn't easy.