Lounger
    Thanks

Random SYS Admin message when sending mail (2002)

Hello all,
    Outlook 2002 was running fine for me for the longest time. In the past 2 months I have started to recieve this message when I rty to send a new mail or reply to a message - Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: ATTN: John Doe <-------Who I am sending to
    Sent: 5/11/2003 9:34 PM

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

THE ADDRESS I AM SENDING TO----->'anyaddress@anydomain.com' on 5/11/2003 9:34 PM
    553 sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts (#5.7.1)

Sometimes if I close Outlook and reopen it the problem is solved. I have a website and use Outlook to retrieve my mail from there. I also have Comcast Broadband.

I can always send and receive e-mail no problem if I go through IE6/web mail. The only problem is with Outlook.

Any ideas as to what may be the problem??? This is getting annoying!

Thanks in advance - I love this group.

Thanks

Re: Random SYS Admin message when sending mail (2002)

Oh, man, I answered a very similar one recently but without search I can't find it.

In short, the SMTP (outgoing mail) server doesn't want to relay the message you're trying to send. It could be that you're trying to use a non-Comcast SMTP server while on the Comcast network, or trying to use the Comcast server while on a dial-up. When you get this error, try sending from the "other" account and see whether that fixes it.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Random SYS Admin message when sending mail (2002)

By "random" do you mean it will happen or not in the same session? Or once you get it in a session, you always get it during that session - but a subsequent session works fine? Either way, Jscher is probably on the right track.

I'm inclined to think your ISP has made a change to prohibit relay. This is strongly indicated if your SMPT (sending) account is not with your broadband provider. It can happen if they are the same, too. For example they might have changed the authentication type. But there are lots of variations.

If it's random in the same session, they may have turned on recipient authentication, where they verify the other persons domain or maybe even their account. This can generate what you are seeing if the target can't be resolved within a timeout period.