Lounger
    Thanks

Security and crashes (XP SR1)

Since my system is still very unstable, I am worried about my always-on cable connection. If the system crashes to the point of just leaving my wallpaper and an antivirus icon on my monitor, can an intruder gain access to it, since the firewall doesn't seem to be present? (The three-fingered salute doesn't work at this point.)

If the system reboots spontaneously while I think it's doing something useful (like just sitting there waiting for me to come back from having a glass of water, or maybe backing up some data), once it gets to the point where I have to log on as a specific user, can someone interact with it via the internet at that point? Note that in the early stages of rebooting the cable modem lights indicate that there is no computer connected to it, so presumably there would be no problem there, but by the time we get to the logon screen, all the right lights are on.

MTIA.

Banned Member
    Thanks

Re: Security and crashes (XP SR1)

<hr>Since my system is still very unstable<hr>

What do you mean by that? Maybe we need to find out why your system is unstable and get that fixed. As for a hacker getting into your system. Yes I suppose he could because you have a direct connection to the internet, but the truth is, a good hacker can get into your system with or without a firewall. Of course a good firewall will keep the average Hacker at bay but Corporations spend Thousands of Dollars on Firewalls & Security to keep Hackers out and even then they still manage to get in sometimes. So I guess what I am trying to say is, yes a Firewall needs to be running but the best solution right now is to get your sytem stable to were you know your Firewall is up and running and you feel safer, but don't let those fears keep you from using your machine. You can always unplug your Modem connection if your that worried untill you get your System stable.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Security and crashes (XP SR1)