Thread: Shopping advice

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Shopping advice

I will be buying a new PC in the next few months. I wish to be able to 1.) Transfer my VCR tapes to DVD for archiving 2) have a very good monitor for sharp viewing of spreadsheets and pictures. My questions: What site gives the "best" product evaluations in your opinion? What are the critical relationships that need to be "right" to insure that component-capabilities match well? What terms to look for on spec sheets to be sure I don't get stuff on the motherboard that I really want on independent cards, such as video?
    I know this is an open-ended question, constantly being asked. I am hamstrung by the lack of the search facility, so I need to post it rather than research it. Thanks for the advice!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Shopping advice

My first stop would be http://www.consumerreports.org - click on the blue Computers heading and you should get plenty of references. They just ran an article recently on low end PCs, which is not what you're looking for, but they have a wealth of information that could be of use to you.
    -Mark

Banned Member
    Thanks

You can also find a wealth of information on This site. Just search through the site. It even has a pages telling you how to build a computer. On the left look for "PC's And How To"

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I have yet to find a truely unbiased site for recommendations at a general level.

However, for particyuar components, there are much better alternatives, most of which are specificic to particular components, but oft have forums for general advice.

The place to start, IMHO, is in internet newsgroups.
    Peruse those in the appropriate topic areas and you'll get lots of pointers.
    Every such group has a cadre of frequent posters who give good, usually accurate, advice.
    You'll learn to distinguish those from the others.

You could start with newsgroups such as:

alt.comp.periphs.cdr, which also discusses DVD.

Since you'll likely be buying a pre-built PC, you might wish to check in groups such as:
    alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
    alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
    alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway
    alt.sys.pc-clone.micron
    comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Well if you would permit a slightly biased suggestion, have a look at this site. Before you ask it runs MS Office just fine ...