Lounger
    Thanks

2nd page of template margins (word 2000 sr1)

I've checked around for help on MS, didn't find it there....I can change the headers and footers from the first page of a template to the second, but can't seem to get the margins to be different. I can get the margins to be different on page 3, but page 2 insists on being the same as page 1. And when I just delete page 2, it then makes page 1 the same as page 3. I know it must be something simple, but ..????

thanks,
    larry

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: 2nd page of template margins (word 2000 sr1)

Page margins are set on a per section basis. If you want to have different page margins on page 2, you will have to insert a section break at the end of page 1.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: 2nd page of template margins (word 2000 sr1)

If your pages are in different sections, you should be able to get different margins. Word will create a differerent First Page Header for you. If you want other sections, you must disconnect them from each other by going into View/Header & Footer & pressing the "Same as previous" button on the toolbar.

Assuming you want just two sections with two margins, do the following:
    1. Create your new template with one section & adjust the margins the way you want. Put whatever you want in the Header/Footer.
    2. Go to File/Page Setup.../Layout tab & make sure the section start is set to New page.
    3. Check the box that says, "Different first page".
    4. Go to the margins tab & set the margins that you want. Then OK in the dialog box.

You should now have different margins for your first & second sections. By the way, you can't have different margins in the header/footer than the main document for that section. If that's what you need, you must use a positive or negative paragraph alignment in the header/footer.

Deleting a section break applies the formatting of the following section (or last paragraph mark, if there are no more section breaks) to the previous section. That's because the formatting of a section is carried in the section break following the section. It's a difficult concept to get familiar with because the type of section break is listed (in normal view) in the break that occurs before the section.

Hope this helps.