London, Ontario, Ontario, Canada

Newbie trying to deploy SQL (SQL 2000 Developer.)

I'm running Windows 2000 Server. I have installed SQL Server on it. My Access backend is ready for upsizing to SQL. I take it that I open my Access XP Front end and use it to convert the backend to SQL? If so, any tips? I tried it and it renamed all the tables to *_local and now the front end can't find the tables.

Super Moderator
    Evergreen, CO, USA

Re: Newbie trying to deploy SQL (SQL 2000 Developer.)

It's not quite as simple as it appears (and probably should be). First, you want to be sure SQL Server is actually running - otherwise the upsizing wizard will fail. Next you run the upsizing wizard from the back-end table - at least I always do. Then I delete the links in the front end, and import the links from the back-end into the front-end. That isn't the only way to do it, but it seems to work pretty reliably. You can also link directly by specify an ODBC data source and selecting the one for the upsized database, but when you do that all the tables will have a prefix added to the name (usually dbo_) that makes the table name different from the one you were using. Hope this gets you on the right track.