New Lounger
    Thanks

Suspicions about Graphics (2000 SP1 & SP3)

Hi all--
    I have a user who is trying to create a 2-column document with several images. I'm not sure how he inserts the graphic, but I know he creates a textbox and puts in a caption, then groups the graphic with it so that the graphic and the caption are considered a single item. He wants to anchor this graphic to a particular paragraph in the document, so he placed the picture where he wanted it, then went to the Format Object, Layout, Advanced, Picture Position tab and marked Move Object With Text, just like it says in the Word Help files (What a concept!!). Then he would go and try to insert some text at another location in the document, and when he got done, the graphic appeared to move itself to a new paragraph. He tried various options before calling me for help. I played around with it, and *think* I managed to fix it by either unchecking the options under Picture Position and saving the file, or else by ungrouping and re-grouping the graphic and caption textbox (I'm not sure which).

I guess I'm just suspicious of this so-called "solution" and was wondering if any of you Word Mavens out there have seen this sort of behavior before and can tell me a) is this a "real" solution, [img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] why what I did seemed to fix the problem c) Is there a trick to avoiding future recurrences of this problem?

Any help you can give is much appreciated!

Natalie Stroud
    Computer Support Unit 897
    Science Applications International Corporation (SAIC),
    contractor to Sandia National Labs
    Albuquerque, NM USA

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Suspicions about Graphics (2000 SP1 & SP3)

The most important trick to avoid this sort of problem is Tools > Options > View > Object Anchors.

After doing this you will see that whenever you select a floating graphic there is an Anchor displayed showing you which paragraph it is attached to. You can then drag the anchor to the correct paragraph and in the Format object dialog box you will find a Lock Anchor option which prevents it from moving. Once you have done this the object will maintain it's position relative to the anchor paragraph.

StuartR

New Lounger
    Thanks

Stuart:
    I saw the anchor whenever I clicked on the graphic, but aside from looking at the paragraph it was positioned in, it was completely unobvious to me if there was a way to tell which paragraph the graphic thought it was anchored to. I tried specifically clicking on the anchor & dragging the picture that way, but it wouldn't let me. I finally just put the cursor in the middle of the graphic and I could drag the graphic around that way. Also, we had the Lock Anchor option selected, but as far as I could tell, it didn't do anything. It certainly DIDN'T lock the graphic with respect to the paragraph we wanted. Unless it's one of those things where you have to do everything in a particular order, and MS didn't bother to let that be known up front.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

"Lock Anchor" doesn't mean that you can't drag the graphic around, it means that you can't drag the anchor to a different paragraph. When "Lock Anchor" is checked, you can still drag the graphic manually, but Word will keep it in the same position relative to the paragraph as the paragraph gets shifted up or down in the document because you remove or add text above it. When "Lock Anchor" is unchecked, you can drag the anchor to a different paragraph, and Word may do so too if it feels like it.