Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Typing at Windows Explorer

I often start typing a file/folder name in Windows Explorer (98SE) as a quick way of navigating to it. If I (can) type quickly enough, the navigation progresses as expected, as more characters are typed in. But if the delay between keystrokes is too long, this ability is lost and navigation starts again from scratch.

For instance, if I was trying to navigate to "readme.txt" by this method, I'd firstly be taken to the first file starting with "r", then to the first file starting with "re", then to the first file starting with "rea" etc. But if I delayed too much in typing the next character - "d" - then I'd be taken to the next file starting with "d".

I'm wondering if there is a setting somewhere that governs the allowable time interval between such keystrokes. Better still, a tweak or similar to allow for adjustment.

Alan

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Typing at Windows Explorer

Great Question! I think this would fall under "AutoComplete for Addresses Delay" -- or something. I'll look into it...

Hmmm... I cannot seem to duplicate that behavior -- even with waiting about 10 seconds between letters! How long are we talking about here??

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Rick:
    Then perhaps you're doing something else? If you select some icon in Windows Explorer (so that the focus is in that box), & then start typing, the focus should move to files matching the typing...unless you hesitate more than a fraction of a second.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

AYE!!! Yes, sorry. I was typing at the Windows Explorer Address bar...

I will need to reassess. Sorry.