New Lounger
    Thanks

Numbered List - Driving me Nuts! (Word 2000)

I consider myself a reasonably advanced Word user, but am finally at the end of my tether with numbered lists. I have set a List style with the appropriate hanging indents. After each instance of Heading 2, the numbered list continues the numbering of the previous list - so I did as one would expect me to do; format bullets and numbering, restart list. This however changes all my indents and changes the previous list -- on which I've already had to carry out this procedure -- to continue numbering.

How do I get the list to restart numbering by default?

I'm sure this will have been covered in the forum at some stage - it's bound to have been - but the search facility is inactive and, as this is my first post to this BB, I'm not too sure of what's gone before. Please forgive me if I've asked an FAQ!

Regards,
    Cams

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Numbered List - Driving me Nuts! (Word 2000)

Just checking - when you say 'list style', do you mean you have associated numbering properties with a style (via Format > Style > Modify > Numbering etc.)? If you've associated numbering properties with a style, it should stay (kind of) stable.

Could you attach a small sample of your document with the problem? - probably will be pretty easy to fix but hard to without seeing the actual numbering.

Gary

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hello Gary. Yes, I had changed the numbering properties via Format > Style > Modify > Numbering. I just cut and paste an example of my problem into a new document both by cut/paste and using the spike. Try though I might, I was unable to replicate the problem in the new document, however the problem remains in the original text. When I select Format Bullets & Numbering > Restart numbering, it restarts the numbering but changes the indent settings. Sometimes it alters the immediately preceding numbered list so that it no longer restarts, and sometimes it doesn't.

Nope, just tried to replicate the problem once again, but without any luck. I guess it's something I'll just have to fix manually until the next time... I realise there isn't much you can advise without seeing the problem first hand, but thanks for trying anyway.

Regards,
    Cams

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

This is probably caused by more than one List Template being used for a single list. Gary has a star post on the subject & Andrew Lockton has a restart & continuing numbering macro. The post is <post#=76976>post 76976</post#>. Since the search engine is down, I'll post the macros here:<pre>Public Sub ListContinue()
    ' Continue numbering from previous list
    ' by Andrew Lockton
    ' - does not reset any other direct paragraph formatting
    Dim aList As ListFormat
    Set aList = Selection.Range.ListFormat
    aList.ApplyListTemplate ListTemplate:=aList.ListTemplate, _
    ContinuePreviousList:=True
    Set aList = Nothing
    End Sub</pre>

<pre>Public Sub ListRestart()
    ' Resets numbering of current list to restart numbering
    ' by Andrew Lockton