4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can Grow/Shrink (AXP)

I have a subform that shows some data from a query. Sometimes the form will have like 3 records and others it will have 12 or more. Is there a setting that will allow the native form to remain as small as possible? What I mean here is that I want the form to go smaller or larger based on the number of records in the query. If I set the subform container to "can shrink/grow" property equals yes, it doesn't seem to change anything.

Thanks,
    Mark

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Can Grow/Shrink (AXP)

It doesn't work that way. CanGrow and CanShrink on forms only applies when you print the form. If you want the forms to grow or shrink (not something I would care to see as a user, BTW), you'll have to do it yourself in code.
    Charlotte

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Charlotte,
    I did find that in the help after I posted (shame on me!). How would I take care of that in code? The reason I need it is that the form is a summary page and has two sections to it. Each section could have 2-15 records that show in each form. At the form header/footer, there are calculations that are performed on the form data. It just looks better to have the calculations right underneath the last record on the form. If there is an easy way to do it in code, I would like to try it.

Thanks,
    Mark

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

There is no *easy* way to do it. You would have to use code in the parent form to look at the number of records in the subform and change the size of the subform control based on an approximation of the space required for that number of records. Then, of course, you would have to decide what to do with the space *between* the subforms, since it won't go away unless you move the subform controls up or down on the form. To me, this would be an awfully busy form and would not be improved by this cosmetic treatment.
    Charlotte

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Charlotte,
    Thanks again. Yes, that would get to messy doing all of that. They will have to use it like this for now.

Thanks,
    Mark