New Lounger
    Thanks

XP versions/upgradeing (6.0)

I need to know the best next steps to get my computers in sync most efficiently and least expensively. I am an independent developer of desktop Access apps for users who still used older versions of Access, so only now will I go to the next Windows version. I have been using VBA , some VB 6.

I am confused by the recent launch of Windows Server 2003 (as I understand, for server computers--for desktops XP is still the most recent). Is there going to be a new OS release for desktops? When XP was launched I thought its set of versions was going to become a single OS set superceding and bringing together all current NT and Windows versions. AND along with Windows Server 2003, Microsoft launched Visual Studio .Net 2003 and Office 2003 release is imminent.

I have a Micron Millenium Pentium III, 600MHz, 762MB memory, 6 gig hard disk STILL running Windows 98 SP 2 (I think) with Office Pro 2000 which I cannot wait any longer to upgrade. And when I do, I will do a clean install.

AND a Dell Inspiron 8200 laptop running XP Home with Office Pro 11 (2002)--no SP1 installed yet. It shares a wireless internet with the desktop but is not otherwise linked.

--Should I put XP on the desktop or wait a while longer?

--Should I upgrade to XP Pro (I know it is more useful for networks but there may be features a developer could use, should know about.)

I need some good advice. I apologize for the length.

Thanks,
    Meredith

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: XP versions/upgradeing (6.0)

Hi Meredith, I'd install XP Pro on both machines. See Which XP is right for you? to help with the decision. The next desktop release is code named Longhorn. It is not due to be released until 2005. Windows Server 2003 is for servers. As with any Windows server version you can login as a user and operate as you wish. For most that is not a good option - it is fairly expensive compare to a desktop OS. The next server OS will probably be two or more years after the Longhorn. In the mean time for both desktop and server MS will introduce new features as part of service packs and add-on modules. Also, XP builds on the Win2k base. Windows server 2003 builds on much of the XP work. Longhorn will build on 2003, etc., etc.

HTH, Joe
    Joe

Banned Member
    Thanks

Re: XP versions/upgradeing (6.0)

I would stick to WinXP Pro. Seems to be the best for the money and most the bugs have been ironed out. it's a great system for Netwoking and running Graphics and such. I would love to see the new Longhorn when it's ready and in ship shape. But for now, it's XP Pro all the way.