Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

New renamed datasource (2000 & XP)

Today I tried to improve a table that was serving as the datasource (via a query) for a report. I did not want to monkey with the original table, so I made a copy and made my changes to the copy. Then, thought I, I could simply rename the original (to, say, MyTable2), then rename the copy to MyTable and the table would pick up the newly revised table as its datasource. But it did not work out that way. When I tried to launch the report, I saw a mere flash that suggested that maybe a table was trying to appear, but then nothing. When I put everything back into its original configuration, the table launched fine. What did I overlook?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: New renamed datasource (2000 & XP)

Are these tables local and not linked?
    Did you base the report on the query?
    After you changed the table names did you try running the query against the new table?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you've got Name AutoCorrect switched on (this is the regrettable default setting, in Tools | Options..., General tab), changing the name of the table will have changed the record source of the report too. You should still be able to change the record source in the Properties window.

One of the first things I do in a new database is turn off Name AutoCorrect. I think it's more trouble than it's worth (perhaps others disagree).

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Tables are local, not linked. Report is based on the query. I don't think I rant the query against the new table...that's probably the source of the trouble.

Thanks!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Name Autocorrect was added for end users and has been a disaster from the start, especially in Access 2000 where it was implicated in all sorts of wierd behavior.
    Charlotte