New Lounger
    Thanks

Search Companion (5.5)

Hi all,

I would like to know what the procedure is for deleting the type history in the Seach Companion IE 5.5 and beyond.

Also if possible once having cleared the list is it possible to limit the length of the list.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Banned Member
    Thanks

Re: Search Companion (5.5)

Is this what your talking about Here

Banned Member
    Thanks

This might interest you Here

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Microsoft loves to make things confusing...

First off, I don't think you really mean the "Search Companion" -- that is something found in WinXP that is generally unrelated to Internet Explorer.

I suspect, like cowbowdawg, that you are refering to the AutoComplete function in the Address Bar of Internet Explorer. That is a very complicated function that does more than just present you with "previously typed" addresses.

You can 'clear' your previously typed addresses by clicking the Clear History button on the Tools | Internet Options | General tab. This has the possibly desired side effect of clearing your History folder as well. You can eliminate AutoComplete for Web Addresses by going to Tools | Internet Options | Content tab | AutoComplete -- and removing the check box for "Web Addresses".

Furthermore, I believe the "TypedURL's" have some finite limit, although I don't remember what it is nor do I know if this can be modified. Lastly, you can restrict the amount of your History by modifying the Tools | Internet Options | General tab | History settings. By default, this limits what AutoComplete can use in the Address box.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

R2--

I thought that David was referrring to a different item-- (I don't know what OS he's using).

The "search assistant" that I think was initiated with IE 5.0 from the toolbar and puts up a task pane on the left side of the browser window--and of course confusing to distinguish with Redmondese from the Search Companion associated with the OS's (from the Start Menu and the Windows Explorer bar)--since they call it "Search Companion" at the top of the pane as well. Andy Rathbone's info is aimed at the "Search Companion" in Windows XP--the component that comes up with the doggie from the Start menu or the Windows key +F. I Have IE 6--but I believe it works the same way as IE5.5. You can stop it from recording the history by scrolling down; Click "Change Preferences">(Scroll Down Again) Click "Turn Auto-Complete off."

I'm not sure what David means by "limit the length of the list"--I think it's either off or on if we're referring to the same thing.

As to clearing these lists, the XP Registry (not sure what OS David refers to) stores history or MRU (most recently used) lists. Search Assistant-Companion's (using Redmon's dual nomenclature) history uses the key ACMru and you can remove each subkey individually to clear a specific type of query's history list or you can remove the key ACMru to clear all of Search Assistant's history lists--I do know you can specify the components of the Windows +F Start Menu "Search Companion with subkeys. But I don't know if you can target the "IE toolbar Search Assistant" (Microsoft's terminology for it in the MSKB's) whose name MS ambiguously changes in the GUI to Search Companion--one more case of MS calling the same thing two different names and then using the name for still another entity--from IE toolbar and from OS Start Menu/Windows Explorer bar:

Search Companion (from the OS Start Menu):
    HKCUSoftwareMicrosoft Search AssistantACMRu
    5001.Internet
    5603.Files and Folders
    5604.Pictures, music, and video
    5647.Printers, computers, and people
    Registry Info taken from Jerry Honeycutt's Windows XP Registry Guide, pp. 113; 412

Kelly Theriot also has a regedit to clear history, (although from which Search Companion, the OS Start or the IE toolbar, I'm not sure) and she has additional registry tweaks for these subkeys here under Search Companion and at line 24 in here "Tweaks" section for Windows XP.

Some of these IE problems seem to be impacted by the OS being used with the browser, and solving them is not only IE specific at times, it's OS specific so knowing the OS working with the IE version would help, particularly when regedits are involved.

SMBP

The top images are from the "Search" button on the IE toolbar; the bottom from the Search Companion tool on the Start Menu and Windows Explorer toolbar which has "Turn AutoComplete off" as well:
    Attached Images Attached Images